Chinese-Forums

What I paid . . . . . . Price Checks Here

self-taught-mba

Purpose of this thread:

• To prevent getting ripped off!
  • Get a feel for what a fair price is
  • Share your purchase experience
  • Tell us how much you paid.

This can only be as good as we make it--so everyone try to contribute not only ask.

Suggested format: Item catagory, brand if any, location, then price (and quantity if applicable) all in the title

That way people can quickly scan down the page.

If we can put requests in pretty much the same format

(at the risk of sounding bossy:mrgreen: just making suggestions so we can make it easy to use when and if it gets large)

At the Zhongguancun electronics place... sorry couldnt fit that in to the title...

as for the Kingston sd card... 1 gb down to 120 at the silk markets and it looked real enough (which isnt saying alot really)... had kinston on it and all the right colours etc but they may have done a switch if we had carried through with the deal...

Note: I'd like to suggest using the code below. This way there won't be any title limitations, and the item will appear when someone replies to a post. As it stands, the title doesn't show in the post reply part.

[b]Item catagory - brand if any - location - then price (and quantity if applicable) all in the title[/b]

Can people post their Palm TX prices please? :)

I'm about to buy one. I was going to buy one for £145 from an ebay shop (new, but without the box - grey import from HK I guess). However, I need it boxed for reselling when/if I tire of it.

It's £185 in the UK, cheapest price (amazon and PC World, suprisingly).

Self-taught I can't believe you got a 1 GB SD card for 170 yuan. When I was in Beijing I payed $65 USD for a 128 MB SD card for my Kodak digital camera at some upscale electronics store in one of the malls. No bargaining allowed! I feel cheated now.:cry:

300rmb from the antique market in Chengdu. Here's a photo of it hanging behind the couch:

3.jpg

Self-taught I can't believe you got a 1 GB SD card for 170 yuan. When I was in Beijing I payed $65 USD for a 128 MB SD card for my Kodak digital camera at some upscale electronics store in one of the malls. No bargaining allowed! I feel cheated now.

Wow, whoever sold you that must still be telling stories about it. You paid more than 10 times what you should have. 128mb was standard 5-6 years ago.

No bargaining allowed! I feel cheated now.

I have successfully bargained at Wu Mei in Haidian where even Chinese say you cannot. this is China--there is no such thing as a no bargaining rule. Which is pretty much what I say to them in Chinese. Even department store clerks have quotas or commissions. But it is hit or miss.

It always cracks me up:

Shopper: Can we bargain/discuss price here?

Shopkeep: No

Shopper: oh, ok

Why do people believe that so readily! You can't trust them to overcharge 5 times at a bargaining place but you can trust them to let you know when you can bargain??!!

Ok we should have thought of this one. How about an approximate date. We just saw "when I was there" followed by "that was . . .5 years ago". Maybe the last time he was there was five years ago.

Especially for electronic goods.

Maybe date immediately preceeding the price.

The last time I was there was in the summer of 2004. I was hunting for an SD card with my host brother, and I finally came upon one in an electronics store in some mall. Then I was promptly seperated from my money. Oh, well you live and learn I guess. I won't be making the same mistake this time.

You might want to get people to follow the first lot of rules before making up new ones

True that. "rules" is a loose term--just suggestions

Ok obviously the code was meant to be in the body--still didn't get the part about not included in the reply. But Hero Doug is right about spacing. Good idea Hero.

There are places where you're really not supposed to bargain. Bought two T-shirts in a shop on Xinjiekou, they were something like 60-80 kuai each (3 years ago). I thought that was too expensive, and tried to bargain. The shop ladies pointed to a sign on the wall saying that there was no bargaining there. So I walked off, because I really though it was too much money (6 euro for a T-shirt, pfff, what are they thinking! :-) ). Did get a bit off the price that way, but not much, and they were not happy about it at all.

T-shirts, womens, shop near tie shizi fen across from BNU, BJ May-July, 5 yuan each.

Have to inspect for imperfections, but have held up after a few washes. Theres a room with stuff flung all over tables, items outside of this room range from 10-40yuan. I don't think they let me bargain on those 5 yuan items though. btw..There is mens clothing too...