Chinese-Forums

CSC Scholarship - Archives

extrapages

evaseige,

It's definitely not a problem. It really wouldn't matter. All you would need is to get your papers mailed to you once you get the scholarship. What country are you applying from? If you're from a developed nation (Europe, North America, certain parts of Asia, etc.) - they don't cover airfare. And if you're pretty sure about doing this, I would recommend that you apply to your first choice school, get your visa papers - and see if you can forward the "acceptance letter" to the CSC people so you can include it with your application. If you haven't sent in your application yet, you might also want to write an extra "personal statement" telling them what you're doing - how you are sure China is the place for you, that you don't want to waste time, etc. (Send it in with the "acceptance letter" if you already sent in your application.)

Yea, I'm from the U.S. Since flights wouldn't be free I guess that's more of an incentive to go early. Honestly though, I haven't been to one in China yet, but I really don't like the university setting here in the states (fast vs. slow learners, homework etc.) I really feel that the true teachers are the people on the street not in the classroom, and would rather walk around in the city for 3 hours then sit in a classroom with 25 other students. However, if I can go for free, then it might be worth it. I'm just not willing to gamble my free time(to try other methods) on the hope that another university will be the savior of my Chinese studying woes of the past 3 years. And because they don't announce the winners early enough, it's a bit of a dilemma.

evasiege,

Excellent. I'm glad that you already understand the university setting... and that you pick up the most on the streets. But I think there are things you will see only once you come to China. Even though it's a classroom setting with 20 people, the curriculum is FAST and you will learn A LOT. Strangely, you won't really notice how much you're improving until you reconnect with people back home. But after about a year, you'll begin to feel like you're hitting a ceiling. You're still learning, but your speaking/listening skills aren't as great as you'd want/expect them to be after a year... (assuming you do most of the learning in the classroom). If you begin taking advantage of the Chinese environment around you outside of school, you will see your level improve much faster than your classmates.

So what I'm saying is that even though you will be in a classroom setting, you will learn MUCH MORE quickly than if you were learning Chinese outside of China... and that there is so much learned just through living in a Chinese environment. I learned a lot of my Chinese while I was regularly getting drunk with the locals or because I got close with the people who worked at the pet store and the other dog owners at the local dog park.

Thanks Extrapages for the contact information on the physical exam process in Seoul. I talked with Asan Medical Center who didn't really know what was required for the foreigner physical exam, so I went with your contact.

For anybody else who might ever be applying from Seoul - the place is called the Korean Industrial Health Association. The number is 02-586-2441. The address is 1490-32 Seocho 3Dong, Seocho, Seoul. It's off the Bangbae subway stop, exit 4. Once you come out of the exit, make a u-turn and walk straight for about 10 minutes. The office is in the block BEFORE you hit the high school, on the 2nd floor of a green building. the only sign is when you go in the lobby, it'll say Chinese Visa 2F. it's really hard to find so probably best if you can get a Korean speaker to help get directions before you go (the staff speaks limited English). But, they were great - really fast, knew exactly what they were doing. I went on a Friday and the results were ready by Monday afternoon.

Also, one tip - they were going to give me 3 copies of the exam record for the visa application and I just gave them an extra passport photo and asked if I could get a 4th copy so that I wouldn't have to get anything notarized and still have an original. They didn't have a problem with that.

I just read a previous post about somebody else who is applying from Oakland and the experience they had with the SF consulate about only taking applications from current university students. When I talked to them very initially, they never asked about whether I was a university student and simply gave me the address to send everything to. Well, I've tried calling over the past several days (which is a pain because of time difference issues) and haven't been able to get through. I haven't been a university student for a long time. Is this a problem for the embassy to send your application? Should I talk to another embassy? or should I just send my app to SF and cross my fingers?

linguaphile,

I'm glad it all worked out with the Physical Exam. They definitely knew what they were doing and did not screw around, eh? That's good service for you.

As for your SF contact, if that's what they told you, I want to say that you were somehow able to get in touch with someone who knew what they were talking about. Just trust it and apply. The address is really all you need. I doubt they look at it in much detail before sending it over to DC anyway. Or, if you have a really bad feeling about it, I can send you the info for the contact we have in DC. But I honestly think you should be fine.

hi, i haven't posted before. Just read the first 20 odd pages, so sorry if the answers to my questions have been answered in the succeeding pages . i want to study mandarin in china preferably for 6 months, very intensively. am in right in thinking the csc scholarship is just for 1 year courses? if yes, does anyone know of any scholarships for 6 months for people from the uk? if i'm wrong, if i want to start a 6 month course in february do i still apply for the march 30th deadline?

thanks, this is such a great resource which i never knew about!

Physicals in Korea...

I went to the biggest private hospital in Daejeon (a city of about 1.6 million a couple hours south of Seoul), and they told me I had to go to a "National" hospital because they couldn't handle the Chinese physicals. I went to the national hospital who said they used to handle the physicals, but don't anymore. They were nice enough to call the Chinese embassy and ask them what place was still doing it, and I was directed to a much smaller, "industrial" style hospital on the other edge of town. As soon as they saw my papers, they immediately knew exactly what needed to be done.

All this to say, there are specific hospitals in Korea that specialize in doing these exams for entering China. Mine was about 170,000 won, less than $150 US.

-Menyawga

beth27,

From what I know about the CSC scholarships, the duration of which is for the whole degree, but the first year is for the language training. If you're thinking of just doing the language course, I highly doubt that CSC scholarship is applicable for you.

You may contact the Chinese Embassy in the U.K. to ask if there are other scholarships that might apply in your case.

beth27,

All CSC scholarships are for a minimum of one year, with all courses starting in September. Also, summer classes are not covered. The only thing I can think of is to apply for the scholarship, take classes for 6 months starting September and forfeit the rest of the scholarship. But in that case, I'm sure there are other scholarships that are not from CSC that could better suit your needs. If you're still in university, there could be a scholarship you get from your school - or just looking around online will probably result in someone somewhere willing to finance people who want to study in China.

---

Bedan Adjuster,

Not all CSC scholarships are for degrees. The majority of people who apply in this thread are actually on the Chinese language scholarship - taking classes for Chinese only for one or two years. That is what I'm on, as well.

Hey guys, great info you've all amassed - I'm ever grateful.

I'm a Canadian living/working in Hong Kong. I'm going to apply, but I need to figure out through which country's Chinese embassy. Any thoughts on that? Should I mail my application to the mission in Canada or to one in HK? Bit confused.

Thanks

Where are you applying from? Are you currently in China? What did your local state embassy say? Where and how did you get your papers notarized? Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand? Where did you get your physical exam done? Anything about the process you thought might be good for others to know about? Any hiccups you had to work through?

Hi everyone, first let me say this website has been wonderful...not sure I would have made it through this very confusing process without the advice/help on here.

So here is my story...

I'm applying at the Chinese Embassy in Washington DC (seems to be the best place based on others stories)

I'm currently teaching in China... hoping this won't disqualify me, happy to read others that have been successful from China.

I called the American consulates in Guangzhou and Beijing, both were very clueless, wouldn't feel comfortable sending my application to either of them... think it would find its way to the trash.... after reviewing more information I i will send to the Chinese Embassy in America.

My wonderful friend has been helping me notorize stuff in America... got papers sent to him... notorized at AAA for free for members.

I didn't apply for my schools beforehand.... seems like a waste of time. Just gave my three choices.

I'm using my physical exam from China to get my current visa... appears to be valid for 1 year, hoping this is ok and doesn't disqualify me...but really have no other option as I'm in China.

my suggestion to everyone is read through this forum, it helps with pretty much every aspect of the application process.

quick question for people who have already done this...

Before starting your degree program how long did it take you to learn Chinese? Most say 1 to 2 years? Which is more likely?

bbash,

Welcome to the thread! Good luck with the scholarship!

It seems like you haven't done anything to disqualify yourself - so I'd say you're safe.

If you are applying for a degree scholarship, they usually give you one year to start. I have met some who really have felt that it wasn't enough, and when they appealed to the CSC contact at their school, they were granted another year before taking degree courses. But really, it depends on how hard you work at learning Chinese during that first year.

I have a friend who came on the scholarship from South Africa - and this guy was a BEAST. He spent every waking moment with Chinese people, and by the end of the first year while we were still struggling with basic conversation, this kid was talking politics and knew all the street talk. He was able to go to the supermarket and describe air freshener and ask where it was when I didn't even know how to say "air" or "smell" or "take a crap"... He wasn't really ready to take his masters courses, but he decided to move up anyway. He records the lectures, breaks it all down, and has language partners and classmates help him understand. His relationship with his professors is absolutely amazing, as well. He's in class for 3 hours, but spends 8 hours digesting it.

So, in the end, it's really about whether you've got the will to do that.

I thought I would introduce myself real quick,

my name is Payton, I am attending Florida State University and am about to graduate. My chinese name is 高木 (gaomu hence the talltree name) and I am so excited about getting to china by any means necessary! (preferably the csc way)

Where are you applying from?

Beautiful Tallahassee, Florida

Are you currently in China?

Nope

What did your local state embassy say?

Need to contact them asap, should I try DC or look closer?

Where and how did you get your papers notarized?

Student health center where I got the medical exam done did it for free!

Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand?

nope, I trust that extra pages knows what hes talking about

Where did you get your physical exam done?

Student Health Center

Anything about the process you thought might be good for others to know about?

It really helps to find a health facility with kind staff that wants to help figure out what the application wants. The people at the school health facility said they do physicals for international applications all the time and were happy to assist.

Any hiccups you had to work through?

I still need a guarantor extrapages, would you be kind enough to help me?

Hi every one. To start whith something, it took me quite a while to find this tread, I guess I wasn't "googling" the way I had to but any ways.

This is what I have so far found from here and there... I hope It can help some one (even thou deadlines are aproaching shiftly [did I spelled that right?:lol:])

Where are you applying from?

Mexico

Are you currently in China?

Nop

What did your local state embassy say?

Well, at least the secretary who answered the phone told me straight forward what I needed to know "We have nothing to tell you, everything is trouhg the 'Secretaria de relaciones exteriores' (that would be like the Goverment organization that deals with international afairs)

Where and how did you get your papers notarized?

"Public Notarizing place" (Notaria Publica) It's about 5 US dolars / 2 pages

Did you apply for your school of choice beforehand?

I tried to at least get in contact with any of the Universities in China, but I some other have said, It does take a while to get answers, therefore I was not able to do it on time. (my dead line was the 10th of march)

Where did you get your physical exam done?

Family doctor, at the end he just toldme "write what it's suposed to say" (according to the lab exams of course) and I had to go to a "Public hospital" to get the official stamps.

Anything about the process you thought might be good for others to know about?

This is the info I found frome here and there that I used to get everything ready (as much as I could) sadly I fount this Website and tread 2 days ago :wall

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Link: http://www.chinatoday.com.cn/hoy/2008n/s2008n10/p74.htm (it's in spanish but I just extracted what I though would be most useful)

INTERVIEW MADE TO THE RESPONSABLE OF EDUCATION IN THE CHINA EMBASY OF MEXICO DAI CHAOFU

China Today: Does China offers scholarships to mexican students?

Dai Chaofu: Since China and Mexico stablished diplomatic relations in 1972, both countries have been ofering scholarships. To strengthen the comercial and culturan trade, noth sides decided to give 30 scholarships per year in the 5 following years after 2005; but in the last two years, our country offered aditional oportunities. The actual number can be known at the embacy.

Ch: Are there any age limitations for those students?

Dai: Yes....(blablabla) Often we give priority to those of younger age, but we do exeptions with those who have important academic results in their education.

Ch: What it's the prosses that should be followed to aply for a CSC scholarship?

Dai: Candidates should contact first Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores de México, to obtain information of requirements. After they recived the paperwork, the SRE selects the best candidates and gives it to the China embasy of the country. Then, the Education deparment of the embasy shall send the paperwork to the CSC in China wich after that they will forward it to the Universities.Therefore, the admition will be decided by those 4 organizations togueter.

-------------------------------------------------------

This is a Guide I found for the famous "esay of more than Xhoundred words"

http://www.cgci.udg.mx/archivos/Carta_exposicion_de_motivos.pdf

"More than letters, they are short esays that, generaly, answer to specific questions formulated by the institution. The "jury" of such selection comities evaluate this writens presentations.

Some of the criteria that should be in your esay are the following:

• The reasons for which you want to study under such scholarship.

• Your academic, work and personal interests.

• Your work experience, and its relevance for what you want to acomplish.

• The Particular objetives that you wish to acomplish

• What are you expecting of the program

• The benefits of the scholarship in it's hole that you would obtain in case you where accepted.

• Other Information that you may consider relevant or distintive and that presents you as an exelent candidate to obtain the scholarship.

• Make shure your interests and abilities are alike to those of the universitie and the program itself.

• Be brief, to the point and try to explain in the simplyest way the motives that are encouraging you to part of one of the chosen universities.

• Any adventage or something like that that put you above the others that are interested in the scholarship.

• Any personal situation that you are in that may be prudent to mention.

This is the most important stuff of what I got... but very interenstingly I found all this info the same night I was suposed to travel to mexico city :wall (1 day before dead line, I was going there because you are never to carefull to make shure you make the papers get the closest to the hands that are going to check them!) but oh well, whatever happens I would be happy to know that what I found would be helpful to someone else :mrgreen: .

Any hiccups you had to work through?

after I gave all the paperwork the guy who was reciving the aplications told me:

"before the 30th of this month (march) you will be getting and e-mail if you where pre-selected as a candidate for the scholarship"

then I ask him again:

"what if for any reason the e-mail that I would be getting, does not arrive to my mailbox?"

He smiles back, and says:

"then that would mean that you where not chosen":lol:

and he added

"in any case you can call by the end of the month to re-check the results, because we will have such list, so you can call us by then":roll:

So right now Im just crossing my fingers and doing as many good deeds as I can to anyone :mrgreen: , may be that would give me a miracle boost to get there :P

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I have so far, and if any one has any questions of what I might know or about what I wrote, let me know, I will be around here for a while and I would let you know what happened to my case.

PS At least now we know that the count the age as an important factor! (that is not a stone set rule, but that is something? what do you think?)

"we give priority to those of younger age"said by Dai Chaofu

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HERE WE HAVE A STEP BY STEP OF THE PROCESS THAT CSC FOLLOWS (I know is not very detailed, but I think will give a better Idea to some of how this scholarship thing works:wink:)

liuchengtu.jpg

Edited by Rubjar

fsutalltree,

Welcome and good luck! I would be honored to be your guarantor. Let me send you my info through PM. I urge people to try to first contact their local embassy because in the chance that they know something about the scholarship, the "local" demand isn't as high as DC, so you have a much better chance of getting your application sent to China. However, there are embassies that know nothing about it - in which case, your best best would be DC. Why don't you try getting in touch with an embassy closer, and if it doesn't work - I'll send you the DC contact.

---

Rubjar,

This is phenomenal. Thank you so much! Good luck with the scholarship. Hopefully, you will get that email! And the criteria for the personal statement, I'll move up to the first post. I get way too many questions about the essay, which I've always considered common sense, but it will save me a lot of time and energy if we can show applicants something from the CSC that is rational and thorough. Keep us posted! Again, thanks so much for doing this when you didn't have to. It means a lot to this community.