Chinese-Forums

Update

gougou

Hey Roddy, thanks for updating. I love the 'unread posts' feature, that's what I was waiting for all along. It'll take some cleaning up, as anything after September 1 is taken as unread, so would there be an option like "Mark all posts as read" or so?

On the downside, there are many new redirecting screens, as for example after posting, or when clicking on New Posts. Is it possible to disable these?

In the header, click 'Quick Links' and then 'Mark All Forums Read' (which has always been there, nothing new. )

The pages you mention are a bit irritating, will turn that option off now. They'll still appear in some places, such as logging in and out, though.

At the moment, current issues outstanding are

1) Links and Chat aren't working, these'll need to be updated seperately.

2) Avatars have stopped working.

3) There's some cosmetic stuff - the portal looks a bit too crowded now, as information I'd previously removed has come back.

If you spot anything else that broke, let me know.:)

Fixed avatars. Someone said smilies weren't working, but seem fine to me. Links under 'new posts' on the portal need to be fixed - Clicking the title now takes you to the first post, rather than the latest.

Going to remove some of the unnecessary info form the portal, or tidy it up - ie the extra bar for date and poster in latest topics, reply and view info in new posts.

Some stuff is still kind of glitchy - drop down menus don't always seem to work, for example. Will troubleshoot when I can, but am kind of busy at the moment - if something is annoying you, let me know.

Roddy

roddy - I'm missing Forums (I think that's what it used to say) on the Home Page at the top just to the right of Home, or am I getting confused! Good luck with the updates and thanks for your considerable efforts.

Just in case you didn't get a chance to notice my other post - I have my smilies back :D

Mike

Ok, that's fixed.

My current major issue is attachments - basically they're unusable at the moment. I'm therefore turning them off for now until I get a solution. The issue is that the update clashes with server settings (which I don't control) when you store files in the files system, as opposed to in the database. The normal solution is - store them in the database. However, this isn't an option for us as the database won't handle large files - ie audio, which as we know has been an enjoyable feature of the Speaking and Listening forum.

I'm waiting for a response on this one. Hopefully there'll be an alternative, but I may have to restrict the size of attachments.

Roddy

Ok, finally got around to this today. Tidied up the portal page a little (not too much, as nobody was complaining about the stuff I thought they would complain about), stuck ads back in (can still hide them, see the discussion on ads, although it seems nobody wants to advertise without editorial control over the forums, which they ain't getting :twisted: ), fixed the links (linked to in the header, no 'latest links' module for the portal yet though, decided not to put the chat back as nobody really seemed to use it, tidied up a few things in the archive and I think that's all.

If there's anything else I should do, let me know, I'm on a roll :mrgreen:

Roddy

PS Oh yes, attachments - things aren't going too well with attachments, and I think we'll have to do without them for a little while yet.

Anyone else suffering from this :conf

Nipponman, all I can suggest is that it might be a cookie issue (which is equivalent to saying I don't know, this is my best guess). If you can clear chinese-forums.com cookies (Firefox lets you delete individual cookies, rather than deleting them all) there's a chance that'll help.

Roddy, Why do all the forums I have read already show that there is new posts in them? Even after I "mark all forums a s read" I leave, and come back and it looks like there is new stuff in it, but there isn't. What gives?

This will probably happen if you have disabled "cookies". Check your browser settings. Cookies are safe, they merely record the settings and your "position" on a website.

They have several levels of operation too - so you might find you are automatically logged on okay, but the setting that would allow your position to be kept is disabled.

You should also check your cache or "refresh" settings. Do Ctrl & F5 simultaneously, this will update your view of the website immediately.

Roddy, could you maybe stop the site from asking me 'are you sure you want to log out' when I log out? The 'log out' button is not easily hit by accident, and even if that would happen one could just log back in.

Thanks in advance!

Gougou - I think it's a minor glitch rather than anything to worry about, and it's something I can remedy from the admin interface when necessary. I'm not going to bother though, as inaccurate post counts aren't a major issue. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Lu - yeah, it is annoying, so I've removed the pop-up.

Attachments - apologies for the delay in getting these fixed, I know it's annoying. No idea when it'll be done though.

Whenever you get a new message, it pops up two dialog boxes, one to ask you whether to display the message, and one to ask whether or not to open it in a new window. Would it be possible to get rid of the second one, e.g. by setting a global standard or adding an appropriate option to the User CP?