Chinese-Forums

Harbin to Shenzhen

frobbit

Hi

I want to travel to Hong Kong on the 15th February.

As I understand it works out cheaper to fly to Shenzhen first then get a train/bus to Hong Kong.

Can anybody advise me on the best deal I can get. I've already been quoted 1480 for a flight to Shenzhen.

I'll be flying from Harbin, and I want a one way ticket.

Not sure if this will be any cheaper for you, but I have usually found good success for my travels in China with www.elong.net

Once you land at Shenzhen airport, the taxi ride to the ferry will be about 80-100 RMB. Ferry will run you about 110RMB (I don't remember the exact pricing as I usually take the train or bus into HK).

Good luck.

PS - I am hoping to get to Harbin in the summer. Can you please offer some tips/suggestions of things to do/so? Any helpful travel hints around Harbin? Thanks.

Also, are there private language schools in Harbin similar to those in Beijing or Shanghai?

There were a couple of threads discussing this about 6-8 months ago, but I don't recall if anything was mentioned except for the "dragons" one.

Also, are there private language schools in Harbin similar to those in Beijing or Shanghai?
PS - I am hoping to get to Harbin in the summer. Can you please offer some tips/suggestions of things to do/so? Any helpful travel hints around Harbin? Thanks.

Folks, your questions are irrelevant to the topic. If you start a new topic (and if you really want the OP to respond send him a pm or something), you'll get a better response, other people can find the information more easily, and we won't have one topic covering private schools in Harbin / Travel tips for Harbin / Cheap flights from Harbin to Shenzhen.

Once you land at Shenzhen airport, the taxi ride to the ferry will be about 80-100 RMB. Ferry will run you about 110RMB (I don't remember the exact pricing as I usually take the train or bus into HK).

Not sure which ferry you mean, the one I have taken is about 250RMB, but the port is a 5 minute free shuttle bus away from Shenzhen airport.

Roddy

Yes, it is cheaper, but do check prices for both - if you miss out on discounted flights to Shenzhen, but happen to get one to Hong Kong then the price difference might be a lot less than you think.

Shenzhen to HK: The easiest way to do it is to look for the ticket desk for the ferry to HK in the concourse at Shenzhen Airport. They'll sell you a ferry ticket and point you to the shuttle bus. Shuttle bus takes 5 minutes to the ferry terminal, then you wait, board the ferrry and it's about an hour to HK. I always take the ferry that drops you off in Kowloon, and you are a 10 minute walk from the subway / Nathan Road. However, there are direct ferries to HK Airport. See here and here. Be careful with time though - they are very strict about letting people on the ferry to HK Airport, as you land airside, and they don't want the hassle of you getting airside and then having no flight to get on.

There may also be direct buses between Shenzhen Airport and HK Airport - the sites aren't loading for me just now though, so I'm not sure.

If you do take the ferry, factor in the price of the ticket - it may make a flight direct to HK more attractive, and will save a bit of luggage lugging. Plus, HK Airport is a much nicer place to wait than the ferry terminal at SZ.

Roddy

Thanks for the advice Roddy.

As I'm only going to HK airport to meet my girlfriend off her flight, I won't have to worry about rushing.

Although I would much prefer the easy option of just getting to HK directly.

Do you have any pointers of where I can book my flight? My school was rather unhelpful in helping me with looking for tickets...

I only need a 1 way flight, as I'll be traveling back to Harbin on bus and trains.

If you are meeting someone then the ferry direct to the airport isn't an option, as it goes airside. I think if you look around the HK airport website (linked above) you may find Shenzhen > HK Airport buses which might be a good option. Are you spending any time in HK, or is it just in and out?

As for booking tickets, I would probably just take the best price offered on elong.com or ctrip.com - I rarely find travel agents undercut them by any significant amount. Failing that, there's generally an airline ticketing office whereever the airport bus leaves from, so find where the Harbin airport bus arrives in the city and go there. There are ticketing offices all over the place though, just keep an eye out.

Roddy

Okay so I'm now flying to Shenzhen on the 14th February, however my girlfriend doesn't get to HK until the 15th.

I'm guessing the best option is to spend 1 night in Shenzhen rather than HK.

After that we're planning on staying in HK for three nights.

I have no idea really what I should be paying for hotels in both places so any advice and pointers would be helpful.

I was thinking of a day trip to Disneyland are there any special offers or discounts I should know about?

The train from Beijing to Kowloon drops you off in downtown Hong Kong a pleasant 20 minute stroll from the Jordan subway station. The express only takes about 22 hours and costs about 750 RMB (hard sleeper, quite comfortable). Leaves every second afternoon from Beijing.

They sell the tickets in a special place in the Beijing West Railroad Station (second floor, inside the terminal building), so I'm not sure if you'd be able to purchase them from just any train ticket seller in Harbin.

• 2 weeks later...

Roddy -

The ferry I mentioned is the Shekou ferry. If you know of one that is only 5 minutes from the airport, I would be intersted in finding out more. I don't think Shekou is it as the airport is all the way in Bao'an district and outside the special economic zone.

That said, I do concur with the other posting about the ferry not being an option to meet someone at HK A/P. The options then become train crossing at Lo Wu or bus crossing at Huanggang. You can get a bus ticket at Huanggang crossing for HK A/P for about 130 RMB. The touts are near the entrance to the immgration post at Huanggang. Good luck to the traveler.

PK

• 2 months later...

reviving this thread since my question is along the same lines... but backwards. I'm planning to go from hk via shenzhen airport to beijing

1) the ferry information is very useful; Roddy, you mentioned there is a port on the kowloon side in addition to one at the hk airport? I'd like to avoid travelling to the airport just to take the ferry. Are tickets to shenzhen also sold at the kowloon port?

2) how far in terms of travel time is lo wu kcr station from shenzhen airport? I think there are buses going from lo wu station to shenzhen airport but I am better off taking a taxi? I would be grateful for approximate prices of the cab or bus ride too.

Cheers,

Cat

with reference to 1), yes they are, and I think this is the port which has the most sailings. The link I posted 7th Feb should have timetables. It's very handy, a short walk from the Jordan subway station and Nathan Road.