Chinese-Forums

korean students

rezaf

• 2 weeks later...

my class in dalian is 50/50 japanese and korean and yes, the koreans are young, and don't act very mature. some can learn characters really fast but their phonetics are like, what language are you speaking??? otherwise i feel for you because when my teacher tries to get any kind of interactive dialogue going they they all k/j just clam up. me, the only american is thus left being chatty and afterawhile i just don't want to be the barking seal.

cheers

jd that's not necessarily a bad thing since you get to practice speaking. Take advantage of it. It may be awkward at first but it will kind of be like a 1 v 1 class for you if everyone else is clammed up...

In my class they have the right to speak as much korean and mixed english-korean-chinese as they want but when i start speaking chinese they tell me:It'snot a private class!!!!!

the good news is that these days none of them comes and it is really a 1 v 1 class for me:mrgreen:

hi,friend,

i konw your problem.i am director of a chinese school which only offord chinese training in kunming,i charge the foreign things in this school include to arrange the student visa and study program and so on.also i konw the problems of overseas students and the problems of this market.some chinese schools are not very strict to manage foreign students,they just konw how to get the tutions,to earn money.and also for the foreign students,some of them just want to get the student visa,and don't want to stay in the classroom,but try to learn chinese speaking by chinese girls.but for the chinese schools will face to very big competition in the future,because the goverment of china want to make chinese be the second world language,they will make the new laws about this market.so the chinese school will not let the bad students destroy the reputation of school.

To me, Koreans remain a most baffling bunch In Harbin all my classmates were Korean, nearly all girls (they tend to be more serious than the guys).

Anyway the class kind of naturally divided into two. There were the party girls who smoked, went to the discos and got drunk most nights, basically tried to do their best impression of the Russian girls. Then there were the hard-working, quiet, religious (every night they went to church, and at the weekends), chaste girls. And no-one in the middle.

I think the guys don't tend to get into the higher classes because they spend too much time at the dodgy massage parlours!

It's a huge generalization I know, but although I find the Koreans very nice to deal with on a personal level I have found their culture most unpenetrable and unsettling, for instance how they can't get more than two minutes into a conversation without knowing if you are married or not, and whether you are younger or older than they are. Certainly bamboozles me.

In Harbin all my classmates were Korean' date=' nearly all girls

they can't get more than two minutes into a conversation without knowing if you are married or not, and whether you are younger or older than they are.

Certainly bamboozles me.[/quote']

Probably checking how available you are, you lucky guy. :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

They need to know how old you are because they need to know if you are older or younger than they are. Apparently in Korean culture, even more than in Chinese, you respect and obey older people and are in turn respected and obeyed by younger people, and this includes friends of about the same age. Koreans usually don't even call each other by name, it seems, always elder/younger brother/sister. (So my roommate called her boyfriend 'oppa', older brother, which I thought was a bit weird for of addressing a boyfriend.)

Don't know about the marriage thing, but I also get it from taxi drivers and other random people here.

I agree with Lu. It took me sometime to understand that. I respect people for their ideas and thoughts not for their age. I think the Koreans are born to become traditional authoriterian managers.

I respect people for their ideas and thoughts not for their age.
I think that's a different kind of respect. If my grandmother takes her coat of, I hang it up for her. If an old man gets on the bus, I stand up to give him my seat. If the 7-11 guy gives me my change, I say Thank you. Jiben limao, no matter what those people's ideas. Korea takes this some steps further. Perhaps respect is not entirely the right word.

There are tons of Koreans in Nanjing.

In Nanjing Normal University which has some ranking for its chinese department there weree over 800 students and that was a couple of years ago. These were the highly motivated ones that seemed to glare and tsk me if I asked too many questions.

It was a bit better at Nanjing U as there were more other types of foreigners so castigating us for the questions didn't seem to work.

One interesting thing that there were a bunch of British students from Sheffield University who came for their year abroad, But After they figured out they would get inflated grades at the end even if they didn't work hard many let go. One or two switched to The regular classes and tried to be become friends with koreans to talk CHinese everyday rather than Speak english with most of the sheffield people and in the sheffield class.

On the social side, I have found some pretty cool Koreans to chat with, but on the whole they seem cliquish and if there is a big enough population in the school will stick with themselves a bit.

I posted recently about Nanjing Uni's if you're interested:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/12783-learning-mandarin-in-nanjing

I advise you to look around some Universitiies in Shanghai, though it will be tough to find one without a significant Korean population. To do that I think you have to go to the south and then you get more Vietnamese and Thai students who can party hearty also.

Good luck,

Have fun,

SimoN:)

i think respect is the right word here:mrgreen: .

I think that's a different kind of respect. If my grandmother takes her coat of, I hang it up for her. If an old man gets on the bus, I stand up to give him my seat.
this is called compassion
If the 7-11 guy gives me my change, I say Thank you.

this is called gratitude

It's true that they slow down the class but I think it is my fault from the beginning Iam too much dependent on the class . finding a chinese girlfriend will solve everything:wink:

Last week my teacher and I went to a classroom for a study exchange (English/Chinese) and after we were there for a time, a group of Korean students came in so my teacher asked me to sit closer to her so we wouldn't disturb the other students who came in to study. Well, a few minutes later these students were laughing and talking at the top of their lungs. I could hardly hear my teacher who was sitting just next to me. So, respect for older generation?? Maybe when they are one-on-one but when they are traveling in groups there's none of it.

I think they are giving their country a poor name and will loose respect from others over time.

• 1 month later...

Even though I know some nice Korean classmates, I don’t really like my most of them, they cheat themselves through the exams, when caught they cause so much trouble that most of the teachers don’t even go to the trouble of taking away their exam papers, class times had to change because they don’t want to get up early in the morning. In China, according to the law, it is forbidden to smoke in the school buildings, ( actually on the premises of the school), but because the Koreans can’t go without their cigarette, other students are asked not to complain about them, the teaching material that should be covered in one semester has been cut short with 4 chapters.

Other foreigners are being labeled as 外国人 and teachers were asked to tell the 外国人not to asked to much questions because they only want to listen to teacher.

Yeah my experience with Koreans is not pleasant at all.

Hmm, it seems that everyone here has had varied experience with Koreans in their schools. I study at 清华大学 and as just about every uni in Beijing there are tons of Koreans, in fact my girlfriend is Korean. My language classes were primarily based of Korean students, but most of them were actually very hard working. Apart from the fact that it seems alot of them had pronunciation problems, they were excellent at reading and writing characters. Of course there were a few who did not ever come to class, but this was true of students from all over the world. The Korean students that I met who had actually entered the university were fanatically hard working, it was actually a bit frightening. At the end of the day, there are alot more Koreans in Beijing than most other student populations so you will run into alot of different kinds of people. However I don't think that it's fair to generalize.

At the end of the day, there are alot more Koreans in Beijing than most other student populations so you will run into alot of different kinds of people.

That is for sure. When I took my written driving test, I was surprised at the number of Koreans that were there. Out of 20 or so people in my test session, only 3 or 4 were not Korean.

And how did I know that they were Korean, and not overseas Chinese? Because each one of them bowed to the examining officers after getting back their test scores.

And how did I know that they were Korean, and not overseas Chinese? Because each one of them bowed to the examining officers after getting back their test scores.

Thats for sure, I find the respect aspect of Korean culture very interesting. My girlfriend for a little while tried to insist I call her older sister because she is 6 months my senior....:roll: