Chinese-Forums

Popup Chinese Translator for Firefox!!

xentropic

• 4 months later...

ChinesePera-kun is a big help. However, it lacks a lot of compound words and alternate meanings. For example, when I try the word for "wind chill" (风冷温) on www.wunderground.com, it can only translate each individual character, and the meaning "temperature" seems to be missing for 温.

Instead of updating all this yourself, is it possible to make the add-on like a wiki? That way, I could add "wind chill" and "temperature" for all users, and others could do the same. Please consider this.

Thanks,

Anne

You could try Stardict or Lingoes but I don't think the adso dictionary is available for those. Other dictionaries are available but I find they lack proper pinyin or aren't very complete. Maybe I should try to convert the adso dict to Stardict format if it isn't already and assuming you can download it.

I checked out the Stardict website and it seems to have a lot of the same functions as Kingsoft Powerword minus the voice functions, nicer interface, and in-depth word analysis. Also there are just too many user-contributed dictionaries to choose from on their site one wouldn't know which one to pick.

But if someone could really get the adso dictionary to work with Stardict, I would switch over right away.

• 3 weeks later...

I must reiterate that we would all be most grateful to someone who could get the adso dictionary to work with something like Stardict! (The adso dictionary is the best dictionary for Chinese that I've seen to this date) :mrgreen:

That way QQ, MSN, Outlook, Chinese Program Menus, etc. can all be translated on-screen with pinyin. (Some of these can't be cut and pasted into Firefox for translation especially when they are in the Menu) :D

ChinesePera-kun is a big help. However, it lacks a lot of compound words and alternate meanings. For example, when I try the word for "wind chill" (风冷温) on www.wunderground.com, it can only translate each individual character, and the meaning "temperature" seems to be missing for 温.

Instead of updating all this yourself, is it possible to make the add-on like a wiki? That way, I could add "wind chill" and "temperature" for all users, and others could do the same. Please consider this.

Is Chinesepera-kun open source? If so, then perhaps we can get together a community to extend it. It would be cool if user-submitted definitions can be rated by other users, sort of like digg, and the most highly-rated answers bubble up to the top. My personal interest in this is actually to create a Chinese-Chinese dictionary, so I'm looking for a community to develop Chinese definitions, but a properly designed framework should allow definitions in any language.

It's licensed under the GPL. Just unzip the jar file and you have access to the source. It doesn't appear to have been updated in quite a while, so you might want to try contacting the author to see if he'll let you become the maintainer. For Chinese-Chinese dictionaries, the place to start would be startdict.

There is support for jyutping, however it's not in the normal mouse-over popup. Instead you need to highlight the word and then from the menu choose: tools->lookup using ChinesePera-kun. Alternatively, you could also use the keyboard shortcut Alt-Del, so just highlight the word and hit alt-del and you'll get the cantonese.

There's also a popup eng-chn translator on the google toolbar. Check the settings for Translate Menu. You can select simplified or traditional Chinese. Then, when you mouseover an english word, a popup gives you the chinese characters for that word (just the characters though).

• 1 month later...

I was bored recently and figured out how to create the dictionary and index files for chinesepera-kun using the latest adso data. I was going to send the files to the maintainer, but the e-mail address of chineseperakun at gmail.com does not work.

Any interest from others in an update? I might be able to figure out how to package this all up and release it.