Chinese-Forums

Post a sample of your pronunciation here!

mandarina

Cool, more and more peeps are interested. Great thread Mandarina.

Of course we have to try to help each other out as part of the constructive criticism & train our listening as well as speaking:mrgreen:

Here's my friend's recording for reference (she's a native speaker, well other than the fact she's lived in the US for a while) that I suckered her into today. She pointed out my iffy u vs. v and over emphasis on it in the recording, and I pointed out her 二,and lack of distinction b/t -n and -ng :mrgreen:)

Did you people actually rehearse this beforehand or did you just read it off the bat?

I had to practice it a bit, just like Imron. My friend also had to record it a few times too.

p.s. also what is this PSC thingie that everybody keeps talking about?

In addition to the trasnscripts link, my personal favorite psc stuff is on tudou, for example here with this reader. But there are a ton of resources everywhere, you should check 'em out if interested!

Q: Hey, Imron, why do my files seem so big...hmm. I keep having to break them up to post 'em, but everyone else's are so small.

mmread1.mp3

mmread2.mp3

Yea - exactly. Just reading syllables might be very "to the point" for pointing out mistakes - but it would be also no fun ;). I have a song text sung by Cai Qin in mind right now, but I still hope someone comes up with something better.

Thanks for the link though Hofmann, looks like a good resource.

The thing is, none of us really know your level and therefore the type of article that is going to be suitable - "above newbie-level" doesn't really give much away. It would help if you provided some information about the type of things you currently feel comfortable reading.

Did you have a look at the thread linked to above? Although that article is significantly longer, it contains quite simple vocab and grammar structures.

The text posted in the link above is about my level. So this is what I consider "above-newbie" :).

Alright, I took a shot at the above text (only one minute of it). I read it twice before recording and marked four words I did not not. I read it in Hanzi and it shows. Anyhow be gentle :) But true :wink:

kram.mp3

hey, pretty good for above-newbie level! When I was at your level all I could utter was: 白先生,你好? (we focused more on writing and reading:)

I think what you need to do is: concentrate just on the words first, make sure you get the tones right, you need to correct your pronouncation ofwords like 下班, 儿子, 发现, 可以 etc.

After you know all the words, concentrate on the phrases, make sure they run smoothly, for example:问一个问题, on the last stage you should do the whole sentences: 爸,我可以问您一个问题吗?

pay attention to the third-second tone combination: 小时,美国,小孩儿,旅游...

and lastly, correct the pronounciation of 下 in 下班 and 经 in 已经, you pronounce the x and j too soft, in my opinion.

加油!

Thanks for looking into it. After rehearing myself I really seem to not have a clue what I am saying. I pretty much understand the text, am just still pretty slow deciphering hanzi. *goes back to practicing reading with the above criticism in mind*

Cool, it's pretty good for a beginner. Seriously, I understand everything you said! Now, how to make it a real kick tailfeather reading:

1) Go through and figure out what characters need to be read together. Words like 可以,儿子,小时,多少. This is mainly what made the reading choppy. This will get better w/ time and more reading.

2) 儿化:孩+儿needs to be read together here. Sometimes 儿 is read as a separate syllable, but not in this case.

3)轻声:characters like 了,着,need to be read w/ a neutral tone, as do the 2nd characters in the following words 儿子,多少,父亲。

5) Tone: some words were a bit off, but it seemed to me at least that you knew what the tones should be, but had some issues when you said them, especially some tone combinations and tone change. (Mandarina already wrote this above). Also here are some native readers of this text which should help with all of the above. guy and girl

now go listen to recordings, practice, record, listen to self and repeat as needed and post here again!:D

Practice makes perfect...or at least pretty close to to it:mrgreen:

Wow! Thanks for the posts. I guess I really did not get the meaning of the thread. I listened to the first mp3-postings (mandarina and imron?) and thought "alright I will do this too". Then I looked into the text linked above, read it a couple of times and went for it.

Really the whole point of people looking into your pronounciation is giving as much effort as possible and then, once no improvements by oneself are possible, post your stuff.

So this is what I am doing.

Until maybe the weekend I will do the text again - having mandarina's and heifeng's corrections in mind and applying imron's learning suggestions (I already have audacity) - having a better mic handy and post the really best possible recording. (if it takes longer, it takes longer)

Again thanks.

Edit: messed up trying to link to some nonexisting stuff.

Edited by HerrPetersen

listened to the first mp3-postings (mandarina and imron?)
Nope, I was number 4.
Then I looked into the text linked above, read it a couple of times and went for it.

Much the same here. Where I was talking about the end result, I wasn't referring to using this process for doing my above recording, but rather on having done a large amount of this sort of stuff over the last few months with the end result being that I can read things a lot more smoothly than I could several months ago.

I think really the point of threads like this is firstly motivation through peer pressure, as it's much easier to continue working on monotonous things like this when there are others going through the same process, and secondly its good to share ideas, techniques and experiences for how to improve your speaking. Not to mention, being able to pick out problems with other people's pronunciation will help when you record yourself and need to pick out problems with your own :mrgreen:

I'm increasing the limit for mp3 attachments to 3MB or thereabouts to save people having to break stuff up, but please do try and things keep at a reasonable size.

Am attaching a reading of the 一天爸爸回到家 piece - this is from about a year ago when I was a few months into nine months of being mercilessly bullied by a very nice lady who trained Chinese folk for the Putonghua Ceshi. Learn it properly at the start folks, because it's misery going back and correcting it all later :)

Excellent thread by the way!

baba.mp3

Thanks for the tips Imron. Well summarised.

I have used this approach also for speeches. It works like you said, sentence by sentence paying full attention to contents. Initially one gets tired but plug on and it works.

Additionally, I have found it useful synchronising my speech to that of the native speaker as he reads out, ie you try to speak at the same time as him in order to achieve the right pauses. But you could of course also achieve this by playing both recordings simultaneously. I find the process a bit laborious (and quite often boring for want of a better word) but it certainly does work.