Chinese-Forums

Living With Cats and Pets in China? Possible?

geek_frappa

For Shanghai, it's not a problem. I'm sure it's not a problem for other major cities either. Below is some procedural stuff and personal views for Shanghai, should be pretty much the same for other cities.

http://www.saschina.org/recruits/Pets_in_Shanghai.htm

In order to bring your pet into China, you must have a "healthy certificate" from a vet in your current country showing that the animal is up-to-date with their shots and is fit and healthy (see specifics below). Make sure you have these documents on the plane, especially if the animal will arrive at the same time. When you arrive, Chinese customs officials will present a document (to be filled out in the future) with basic questions about the animal's health.

Part I Entering Shanghai

1. Please have the following available when entering Shanghai.

Health Certificate

Vaccination Certificate

2. Pay a fee of 1000 RMB at the Quarantine Station

The dog or cat is to be closely controlled for one month in the owner’s residence.

Thirty to 45 days following entry into Shanghai, the Quarantine Station’s Staff veterinarian pays a call at the residence to examine the pet. The examination consists of checking:

Heart rate

Stool check

Physical examination

Once the animal passes the examination, the owner is given permission to have the pet in Shanghai (see Registration info).

3. Owner must go to the following office to receive a verification of vaccination by the Chinese Government:

Name: Dong Zhi Wu Jian Yan Suo

Address: 361 Zhao Jia Bang Lu

Telephone: 6471-6496

Fee: Maximum 1000 RMB

Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and

1:00 p.m. – 5 p.m. (no appointment necessary)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part II Exit from Shanghai

1. Within fifteen (15) days before leaving Shanghai, the owner must go back to the Dong Zhi Wu Jian Yan Suo (see #3 above). Please bring:

The dog or cat

Vaccination Certificate (see entry requirements)

2. The pet is examined

3. Once the dog or cat passes the physical exam, the office issues a Certificate of Health.

4. You then take the Certificate of Health to the airport

5. The airport veterinarian will check your papers to see that all is in order, then release your pet for departure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personal views on pets in Shanghai:

Disclaimer: These are personal opinions. Please keep that in mind as each person may be the only one who feels this way...

If you are trying to decide whether to bring your pets - I say bring them. We have had very few problems with our Beagle. Travel has been easy due to the fact that our Ayi (maid) will stay with the dog.

Matthew Leishman

We adopted a cat in Shanghai over a year ago. The veterinarian services here are top-notch and our Chinese cat offers us a lot of light relief and affection. We also keep a fish tank and, in addition, we have three lazy turtles who love to soak up the afternoon sun. Aquatic accessories are easily purchased at the bird and fish markets and they're particularly cheap.

Jonathan Chambers

It is important to note that some airlines are much more difficult than others when trying to transport your pet (our dog cost us more to fly to China than a round trip ticket for our daughter!). Check out not only the price to fly the dog, but also if the airline requires you to use a "Pet Transporter" service... in the end, it is worth having our dog here, though.

Cathy Curtis

For Canada: Once you have gotten a "healthy" certificate from your vet, you need to take this to the Ministry of Agriculture to get it stamped with an official Canadian seal.

YOU MUST book your dog a spot on the plane in advance. Often there is only room for one or two dogs on a flight. Book early. You will have to give your dog's kennel dimensions and weight. It can be expensive. About 500.00USD each way depending on the size of your dog.

There is an embargo on flying with dogs during the summer months and if it is too hot at the airport (I think over 30 C) they will not fly your dog. We found NorthWest Airlines to be most flexible re: flying dogs.

There are now "western vets" in Shanghai in the Gubei Area (Australian and British vets). Before that, we used a local vet and he was cheap and O.K.

I would not recommend purchasing a dog in Shanghai as they are often sickly and die (but not always! We bought our dog in Shanghai but he had lots of health problems during his first year). It is best to bring your dog with you or purchase a dog and bring it with you.

Shanghai is a great place to have a dog....you can hire an Ayi to stay with your dog during the day and walk him/her during the day. You can buy any dog products that you might need here in Shanghai.

You will have to purchase a Shanghai license for your dog. The Racquet Club will help you to arrange this. It's about 1000 RMB per year.

I caution anyone to bring a dog here who has any health problems unless they talk w/ the vet first.

Andrea Naylor

Products: I suggest if your dog likes good solid toys and good bones to chew that you pack up a bag to bring. Nylonebones are nonexistent as far as I can tell. If you take a trip to Hong Kong during the school year, you can find them there.

Kongs (and anything of the like), booda velvet chew toys, stuffed squeaky toys, etc. can't be purchased at stores here that I've found yet.

There are some rawhide bones here, but I'm not sure exactly how they are made, so...

There are some rubber squeak toys and balls w/ bells. Basically, if your dog likes to play, bring things from home.

Food: Pedigree is very popular here. I've always found that in stock. The Innovet by Pedigree is also carried here.

Eurebeka is here throughout Shanghai; the pieces are usually small bites.

I use Science Diet. Most of the time it's available, so I always try to stock up though. One 5lb bag costs 138 RMB which is around $15 US.

Treats: Beggin Strips, Pedigree biscuits and Alpo chews (sometimes) are available. Sometimes a type of milkbone manufactured in Ireland made by Friskies is available. If your dog is a milkbone lover, bring a few boxes from home. Or, make your own! I have some great websites for dog biscuit recipes!

Vets: I've found two I'm satisfied with here. One is Shanghainese, speaks good English and has many US vaccinations. She uses Dodge, so rabies, distemper, etc. can be done here.

There's a new set of vets here in town who are in the process of setting up a practice. The are from Australia and one from the UK. If you have any concerns, and want to make the long distance call for peace of mind, call 011-86-21-3223-1498 Tues-Wed from 1pm-5pm and Thurs.-Sun. from 10am-7pm. They could better tell you about their set up and what's available as far as surgery, X-rays etc. If you call you may also want to ask about heartworm pills. I keep my dog on them year round due to the number of mosquitoes.

We are about a 20-30min. car ride from the vets' location. Bring or make a first aid kit just in case.

Ellie Hilgart

Most of us do have ayis (maids) and it is very reasonable, so I have one come every day. Besides the fact that it is nice to have my bed made and dishes done daily, whenever I have to leave town, the cat is fed and taken care of while I am traveling. Just something to keep in mind, you do tend to travel during breaks and it is great not to have to worry about who is going to feed the cat-especially since everyone else at school is usually going somewhere too.

There are some pet stores here in town, but they tend to be geared more towards dogs than cats. You might see something there and the next time you go it's gone. Hit or miss type of thing. I have seen a litter box or two (quite expensive), but I brought mine from the states. I flipped it over and put it at the bottom of the suitcase and put stuff inside, it was a clean new one. I have never seen litter box liners, ever!

Another item I will bring from the states are those corrugated cardboard scratching boxes. My cat loves them and never scratches the furniture. Last time I was at the pet store in Shanghai I saw them, but for about 8 or 9 dollars a box. And who knows if it would be there the next time.

Ingrid Griffin

ala, this post of so helpful. thank you so much.

i should plan carefully and with your advice, i should be ok.

oh my gosh, is that yours? it's so cute...

he's so cute, but he's not mine. he's only 5 weeks old. still a curious one.

• 5 years later...
For Shanghai, it's not a problem. I'm sure it's not a problem for other major cities either. Below is some procedural stuff and personal views for Shanghai, should be pretty much the same for other cities.

Yes, definitely possible but do research and fulfill all the requirements. Another, easier, way is to adopt a pet once you are there.

Edited by ThankfulBlossom