Jump to content
Learn Chinese in China

  • Why you should look around

    Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

    Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
  • Latest Topics

    • vanillalover1
      Is anyone here can translate my name  in Chinese? it is STEPHANIE. thank you so much
    • markhavemann
      I was wondering if anybody has come across pronunciation practice books aimed at intermediate/advanced foreign language learners. There is stuff for beginners in every set of textbooks and usually those are fine, and then there is stuff for native speakers which is great too.    The stuff that I have that's aimed at native speakers (for the Mandarin proficiency test that most college students do) is pretty good. They have practice for initials, finals, tones, erhua and sound changes, as well as loads of single character practice and compounds too. There are even some longer phrases but mostly just to demonstrate a particular point.   Besides for that relatively basic stuff, they have long paragraphs read at full speed. Obviously for a native speaker this isn't a big jump and they don't need anything in between. On the other hand, for me it's quite a jump going from being able to say individual sounds clearly in isolation to putting them into practice at full speed.    I'm looking for something to bridge this gap. Ideally it would have short phrases, maybe common phrases, at least said slowly and then repeated again once at normal speed. Something in between individual characters/words and full on paragraphs at full speed.    I know that things more or less like this exist for English, but I haven't found anything for Chinese. Has anybody come across anything like this?      I anticipate that someone will suggest I find sentences from content that I'm interested in, in an accent that I like, then practise mirroring those over and over while recording myself. This is good advice, but... Firstly, I already do this. It's partly what has made me want something to bridge the gap.  Secondly, there is something extremely useful about having specific examples designed by an experienced teacher, grouped together based on what skill they are trying to teach, and presented in a progressive and useful way. I can see my own students using these for English and how useful it is to have this kind of resource to be able to draw from.  
    • Derrik
      I’d like to post a picture of the tattoo but the file is too lager. Can someone help me 
    • Gushasad
      Hello! Sorry if this room is not the appropriate one. My question is as follows: my friend want to send me an electronic device, an USB dongle to be specific. He lives in China and I live in Poland. What is the most efficient way for him to send me this package? Regards.
    • Rogulair
      當知彌勒無來時亦無去時 但願眾生念自佛勿念他佛   I don't even sure how to start...I thought figured how to writing them down was hard enough making cohesive sense tense is even harder. Please help.
    • Hasan
      As obvious from the title, I was wondering if there are other people living in Beijing who share similar hobby of collecting Banknotes. Would be great to get in touch with them. And/or helpful people who may help me in expanding my collection , as there are people here from almost all corners of the world 🙂.   
    • roddy
      Found via lifehacker, via the avclub. I haven't tried this, but it might be of interest. I'd add caveats such as the subtitles won't always match up and are you sure you aren't just getting really good at reading quickly while not actually listening to anything, but you all know all that anyway...   Language learning with Netflix Chinese content (choose your country to take geo-restrictions into account)  
    • agewisdom
      I found the below on reddit, so I'll just repost it here. I'm not involved with the podcast.   Update: I've gone through two of the podcasts and can safely say that all beginners of learning Mandarin should listen to this.   Main highlights: 1. Jared Turner has a very 'comfortable' voice and it's easy on the ears. 2. His experience in learning Mandarin is substantial and he knows the subject matter inside out. 3. Looks like Jared is putting a lot of effort into the Podcast, with interviewing different people and their learning experience. 4. There's no 'agenda' or 'pressure' to sell certain products, so you can get real honest feedback and advice. There's some minor advert in each podcast, but it's not a big deal at all. 5. It's somewhat more lively than just reading advice on the forums or from books. I think new listeners can give feedback for new topics as well to make it even more topical and interesting.   Two thumbs up! Can wait for the new podcasts to be out in 2 weeks time. A big thanks to @Rufus for sharing your knowledge and helping us newbies in learning how best to learn Mandarin.   *** Just launched our podcast “You Can Learn Chinese”, a podcast for learners, by learners. It’s a podcast about learning Chinese without trying to teach it to you. Have a listen! http://mandarincompanion.com/blog/announcing-the-launch-of-our-podcast/
    • Dawei3
      In a previous discussion, the topic of intellectual property & economic development came up.  One perspective was that these laws inhibit economic development in developing countries.  I had pointed out that lack of IP protection fosters counterfeiting and can hurt economic development.  Both of these China has struggled with.       The 11 Feb South China Morning Post has an example of how lack of IP protection hurts economically.  SCMP notes:    "China’s latest blockbuster The Wandering Earth is making megabucks at the box office but is fighting a bigger threat than a looming explosion of the sun – a voracious piracy industry that is eating into its ticket takings.   Pirated copies of the movie, which has earned over 2.1 billion yuan (US$311 million) in ticket sales since its release on Tuesday, the first day of the Lunar New Year, have flooded China’s internet. As a result, the space epic that was the highest highest-grossing film in the traditional peak box office period, can be bought online for as little as 1 yuan."   “In recent days, the staff of The Wandering Earth have not had time to celebrate the box office success, but have devoted almost all their energy to complaining to authorities about piracy and blocking pirated copies,”   https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/2185703/chinese-sci-fi-blockbuster-wandering-earth-battles-horde   Weak enforcement of IP protection makes it hard for China to develop an international movie industry because their profits at home are stolen and this reduces money for international expansion.     Weak IP protection also fosters counterfeit drugs and fakes of almost anything of value that can be copied.  Weak IP protection doesn't foster the kind of economic development desired by most countries.        
    • amytheorangutan
      So I’m going to Taipei in April and found out about this place from my guidebook. Originally I wasn’t too sure what it’s all about because the guidebook didn’t elaborate but I found more information online http://neocha.com/magazine/rixing-type-foundry/ and it seems to be the only place in the world that still makes traditional character moveable types that are used for letterpress printing and you can buy those individual character types or (if I’m not mistaken) ask them to make you a stamp? I also read somewhere that they can design and print cards etc for you.    I’m planning to get at least my Chinese name either in individual type or maybe get a stamp seal made but not sure what else. Has anyone here been to this place? If so, what did you get? Can you share your experience? The collection looks massive and they have different fonts in various sizes. I feel overwhelmed just looking at photos of the place. I want to get a few things that I can get a practical use of. Maybe high usage characters like 謝謝 or characters to form a classic Chinese sayings/idioms 🤔
  • Popular Contributors

    1. 1
    2. 2
    3. 3
    4. 4
    5. 5