Chinese-Forums

Lau Gar Kuen

Fu Jau

Hello, this is my first post here.

I train in a style of Kung Fu called Lau Gar Kuen (Liu Jia Quan) here in the UK.

However, there seems to be debate over whether this style is genuine Lau Gar.

Our Master is Jeremy Yau (Yau Kam-Wha), who claims to be the the acknowledged head of the style http://www.laugar-kungfu.com/index.asp

However, after some research on the forms and technqiues (as below) it doesn't seem to be the same style as that taught as Lau Gar in Mainland China by Master Xiao Yong Ding in Zhong Shan city in Guang Dong.

Kay boon sau fa --> Gei Boon Sau Faat --> 基本手法 --> Basic Hand methods

Jorn Sau --> Jong Sau --> 樁手 --> Post hands

Charp Choi --> Chaap Choi --> 插捶 --> Thrusting punch

Gee yau bok gaik --> Gee Yau Bok Gik --> 自由搏擊 --> Free sparring/fighting.

Lin wan tak fa --> Lin Wan Tek Faat --> 連環踢法 --> Continuous kicking methods

Far Kuin --> Faa Kuen --> 花拳 --> Flower fist

Fai Loong Gee --> Fei Lung Zi --> 飛龍指 --> Flying Dragon fingers

Sup Sarn Sau --> Sup Saan Sau --> 十散手 --> Ten Separate Hands (actually 10 discrete hand/leg drills/exercises)

Lau Gar Luk Hup Kuin --> Lau Gar Luk Hup Kuen --> 劉家六合拳 --> Lau Gar Six Harmonies Fist (traditionally the 6 Harmonies are the coordinated linking of the 6 points: heel, knee, hip/waist, shoulder, elbow and wrist. Lau Gar harmonises 3 internal and 3 external asects)

Bac Pye Jurn --> Baat Paai Zoeng --> 八排掌 --> Palms of the Baat Paai (8 Rows/Lines) Mountain 八排山)

Chiun Sum Toi --> Chyun Sum Tui --> 穿心腿 --> Heart Penetrating Kick

Lau Gar Darn Dough --> Lau Gar Daan Do --> 劉家單刀 --> Lau Gar single sabre

Lau Gar Soar Hou Kwun --> Lau Gar Sor Hau Gwun --> 劉家鎖喉棍 --> Lau Gar throat locking staff

Kwun Jorn Doi Chark - Gwun Jor Doi Chaak --> 棍阻對拆

Cern Woo Dip Do - Seung Woo Dip Do --> 雙蝴蝶刀 --> Double Butterfly Knives. Actually more poetic if it's called Woo Dip Seung Do, 蝴蝶雙刀

Bak Ging Gung --> Baat Ging Gung --> 八勁功 --> Eight Powers Practice

Lau Gar Pa Fa --> Lau Gar Paa Faat --> 劉家耙法 --> Tiger Fork form

Chûn Foun Dô Fa --> Suen Fung Do Faat --> 旋風刀法 --> Whirlwind Sabre set

Di dao Tang pye --> Dai Do doi Tung Paai --> 大刀對籐牌 --> Big Sabre vs. Rattan Shield

Ng ying kuin --> Ng Ying Kuen --> 五形拳 --> 5 animals fist set

Wooy ceun chung --> Wui Suen Cheung --> 回旋槍 --> Retuning Spinning Spear

Gee Yau sau faat --> 自由手法 --> Free hand movement

Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Some people claim Master Yau's style is authentic, others say it is actually a Hakka style or a family style, whilst some claim it is completely made up.

I'd like to hear if anyone has any insight.

As a black sash in this style myself, I've seen this debate on many different forums over the years. There are so many different styles of kung fu that not all of them will be known to everybody. Also, there are so many styles of kung fu which are dying out and that future generations will be totally unaware that they once existed.

As for your question, I really don't know. What I do know is that the techniques are strong and genuine. There are some great teachers of this style in the UK, but also some really bad ones that make the style look very weak and it is most likely that people see the style performed by poor teachers (leading to poor techniques by their students) that leads to people questioning the authenticity of the style.

The actual techniques you are learning are genuine. Train hard, be strong and show lotsof spirit and most of all, enjoy yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
As for your question, I really don't know.

Ok, that does seem to be the standard reply.

I suppose only Master Yau would be qualified to answer the question.

What I do know is that the techniques are strong and genuine. There are some great teachers of this style in the UK, but also some really bad ones that make the style look very weak and it is most likely that people see the style performed by poor teachers (leading to poor techniques by their students) that leads to people questioning the authenticity of the style.

I don't question the effectiveness of the style. Like everyone, I like the style.

I enjoy training in it. I think it has effective applications. The truth of it's lineage will not stop me training in or enjoying it :)

The actual techniques you are learning are genuine.

Yes, but genuine what?

Genuine Lau Gar Kuen? It certainly doesn't resemble Master Xiao Yong Ding's style, which numerous people have considered they believe to be the "real deal" as it looks much closer to the other Five Family Styles.

I don't think anyone really wshes to put down Master Yau's style.

Everyone I know says they personally enjoy it. It's just a normal interest in knowing for sure what you are training in. Is it really Lau Gar? If so, why is it so different from the mainland style? If not, why not call it something else. I don't think people will stop training in it because of the name.

Train hard, be strong and show lotsof spirit and most of all, enjoy yourself.

Yup, I live by this motto :)