Chinese-Forums

Racist or not?

kurii

A talent show contestant's mother talked on a Shanghai channel about her adultery with an African American, with whom she bore her. A furious wave of backlash was provoked on the Internet; some contents are insults in reference to her half-black background. The girl defended herself, claiming the negative posting are racist. Nonetheless, since when was it ok to commit adultery and talk about it as romance without shame on tele? Do you think such responses originate from racism?

上海“黑女孩”婁婧走紅網路

參加東方衛視《加油!東方天使》的/婁婧婁婧最近在網路上特別走紅,她被網友罵紅了!婁婧被惡罵是由於她的身世,不少網友得知婁婧是其母結婚後與一名黑人發生關係所生,便在網上破口大罵。8月30日,婁靖在網上發聲明稱嚴正抗議網友的種族歧視,她的膚色不應該成為被攻擊的目標。同時她還稱將保留訴諸法律的權利。

據婁靖的母親在《加油!東方天使》節目中透露,婁婧的母親在結婚後,與一名黑人發生關係,黑人回了美國,留下婁婧的母親和腹中胎兒。生下婁婧後,母親便和丈夫離了婚,獨自一人精心撫養這個特別的女孩。而婁婧也表示這輩子最疼愛的人只有母親一個。正是這一身世讓婁婧招受到來自全國不同地方網友的惡罵。

自從婁婧入圍《加油!東方天使》上海賽區5強後,網路上關於她的爭議聲就不曾間斷。隨著她一步步晉級,網路的聲音更加趨於極端。早在8月10日,就有網友在網上發帖表示對婁婧膚色的關注,一位署名為“宅男爸爸”的網友在寬帶山社區發表了《發個無聊貼:婁婧的爸爸會不會是奧巴馬?》,發帖者在帖子中對婁靖進行了無盡的嘲諷。隨後,越來越多的網友加入到“罵”婁婧的隊列中。

而8月28日至今,網友對婁婧的爭議更為激烈。在天涯社區,一位署名為“朕愛天下”的網友帖發《婁婧的美國黑人父親和上海母親》,引來了4萬多名網友瀏覽。在跟帖中,網友對婁婧的母親進行了“惡毒式”的辱罵。

網友“dunkez”:她媽也不容易,本來以為搞上黑人就能出國了。結果除了多了一個小黑鬼看來真沒沾便宜啊。不過他媽已經可以出去炫耀,看我生了個外國種啊!

網友“寶日龍梅你強暴朕”:原來腦殘是可以遺傳的,她娘貪慕虛榮被黑人玩弄還生了娃。這個當女兒的也有臉出來丟人現眼,真不是什麼體面人家。

網友“癡癡嘎嘎”:雖然罵的是她媽,但是明顯因為黑人的身份帶給了婁靜很多歧視,如果婁靜是白種人的混血,婁靜不會受到如此多的歧視,因為白人的地位原因和混血出來的孩子確實漂亮,很多女人不罵婁靜是因為基於道德的原因和同情心。

那大家怎麼看這個問題?難道真的是因為膚色嗎?

I think you need to look at the individual responses. Were they criticising the adultery, or criticising the relationship with a black person? Most of the criticisms I saw on other websites seemed to focus on the latter. In which case I would argue that yes, it is racism. I doubt it would have caused as much a sensation if the mother had had an affair with a white person.

I thought this thread was interesting because of what you can't say. It seems like racism is as strong in China and the US. In the US the stigma of color is disappearing for the young people. Many young people are cross marrying. Older people still carry a lot of prejudice.

I still remember when my mother sat down my brother and I and told us you do not use the word "nigger" ever again.

My daughter is married to a wonderful black man, three children, and living in Dallas Texas

My question isn't phrased properly.

While some comments are insulting and racist, they aren't all racially motivated. Point is, it isn't interethnic marriage that the unfavorably hostile sentiments are directed at, but the fact many chinese women marry western men for foreign residency. They're labelled as lewd and treacherous; Chinese men find themselves humiliated, incapable of competing with men flashing a western passport. I would argue the girl's mother aims to raise her profile using the story, which is perceived as a shameless stunt, hence the criticisms. The storm of rants are based on the longtime dissatisfaction with foreign married women and triggered by the mother's affair and clumsy tactics. Due to racism in Chinese society, the criticisms naturally focus on the girl's ethnic membership. Which she places emphasis on herself - her father isn't African, he is American.

非洲人就丢她脸了?

Kurii,

Thank you for the clarification of your question. While it may be true that some Chinese women using the guiles that women the world over possess to ensnare western men, this is certainly not a big international factor. A national shortage of women COULD produce a general anxiety and frustration by Chinese men. One child families, the changing social role of women, and increased mobility could all increase this effect.

The United Nations uses the definition of racial discrimination laid out in the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, adopted in 1966:

...any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, color, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.(Part 1 of Article 1 of the U.N. International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination)[15]

Looking for RACISM is “like trying to see the black cat in the coal cellar”.

The reaction was most likely racist, considering that there would have been less of an outrage if the mother had had an affair with a white man. Noise would still be made by those who are against intimate relationships with anyone other than Chinese. Much like the way some white Americans still frown upon interracial dating.

About the OP's question about the daughter losing face: for sure her mother lost face. I'm wondering why she even made that announcement in the first place, especially when losing face in China has a stronger social stigma than it does in the West. (And it can get pretty bad here.) I wouldn't be surprised if it spilled over onto the daughter. People like to tar as many people with the same brush as they can.

It was the Time article that brought me here today. Heard a bit about this before though. Just saw the video--she is adorable, not just looks, but her mannerisms as well. And she seems genuinely humble. No sign of that over confidence nor the much-faked tianxu. Such a shame that such a nice girl has to go through this. I really like Chinese people, but this aspect really pisses me off.

Yeah, I agree, she seems like just a sweet, regular girl who's probably just been suddenly thrown to the frontlines of this issue. It's funny the host mentions Halle Berry b/c behind all the Hollywood glamour Halle's been through her own trials from being of mixed race in the US both while growing up and in Hollywood (probably not much different than the description of one of Halle's very moving role in the mini series adaptation of Alex Haley's Queen: Throughout her life Queen struggles too fit into the two cultures of her heritage, and is at times shunned by both.)~ I hope this young Chinese women can also triumph over adversity and ignore all of this negativity which she does not deserve, whether it's directed at the color of her skin, not being 'pure Chinese', or her mother's past.

[Edit: As for whether or not 'she's real Chinese' Lou Jing is probably much more Chinese than any of these XBC's that grow up with 2 Chinese parents outside of China, but the one-drop rule way of thinking really isn't unique to just the United States, so it's going to take time for people to become more accepting of this in China. Keep in mind in China this is still a fairly new issue [mixed kids...not the extramarital affairs part that is!], whereas in the US and other places there has been a longer adjustment period....and, of course, in many places much greater effort at acceptance still needs to be made~there's a looooong way to go in many countries and many places around the world, including China. Anyway 加油娄婧!]

Edited by heifeng

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/intXcdI7D0A/

I personally find the show organisers doing a very distasteful thing by prying open her private life on the show. They are obviously taking advantage of her to boost the show's ratings. I wonder why lou jing allowed such a thing. Are there any financial incentives for her? She could have said no but I guess she's strong enough a person to deal with these sort of things.

Hi,Thank you Heifang for that video clip. She just seems like a sweet young girl

Racism 种族主义種族主義

–noun

1. A belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. A policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. Hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

In a specific sense frequently the existence of the “collective” social group can create an institutional racism.

I showed my Black friend the video clip. (He could not understand any Chinese) He laughed, and said “ Man, fine looking, China talk, Baby got some time! (She had rhythm)

I told my brother that it was like American Idol ( his three daughters and wife all watch that show) and he said to me “Duh, a black girls got rhythm and can sing? Next you’ll be telling me they have black Chinese runners?

Maybe there is some racism,but not like what you imagine.

See another,a boy,chinese name 丁慧,see the link:http://baike.baidu.com/view/2365510.htm.

丁慧 has a chinese mother and a black father,now 丁慧 is a member of china national men's volleyball.

He and his mother are not excoriated or critized by chinese.

丁慧's mother is a single parent. No one knows whether 丁慧's father is an american,丁慧's mother never talk about that.

People critize 娄婧's mother,not 娄婧. 娄婧's mother has married a chinese man,while she born a black baby. She(the mother) did't feel any shame and call herself "a hero fighting with ritos feudales(封建礼教)".

Do you think the mother is "a hero fighting with ritos feudales(封建礼教)"?

I don't think so. I think most of american don't think so. Please see the article written by an american girl(金小鱼):中国人对外国女的误会http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_5e28087a0100ex3b.html

娄婧 say the affair is racism,just because she can't excoriate her mother. She had to call the affair as racism.

Why 丁慧 (even he will represent china to win a prize)doesn't suffer such racism?

Compare with the football star 马里奥·巴洛特利(Mario Balotelli)who has been treated in Italian,I will say there is no racism.

Edited by fengyixiao

Fengyixiao ,thank you for a very informative comment. First to answer your question, I particularly appreciated the irony of phrasing the question in three languages.

The mother certainly is not a hero in the traditional sense of the word, but I am not sure she is claiming that status. (a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.)

She certainly seems to be fighting!

Is it against “feudal rites”? I am not sure what that means to you. I am sure there are many social and personal levels in Chinese society that proscribe many of the mothers’ actions. Your use of the word “shame” implies personal-social transgressions that are not acceptable to the community. Here in the US the barriers to unwed mothers, divorce and bi-racial marriage are coming down, but they are by no means gone. The change is greatest with the young people.

Having said all of that… if the father was Chinese would it even be worth mentioning? This is the key to this thread. Who would she fight then?

Guittar,why you ignor the second example of 丁慧?

丁慧 and his mother are not excoriated.

The difference between 娄婧 and 丁慧 is that 娄婧's mother had been married before she had sex with another man. If she don't love the man she married,she can divorce. Few of people excoriate 娄婧,but her mother.

It is a matter about faithless and honesty. Even 娄婧's father was a chinese,the mother will be critized. Even a man born a baby while not with his wife-in-law, he will be critized.

Jeck Cheng(成龙) born a girl with another woman(not his wife),he apologize pubuliclly.

You can accepte it,not other will. At least,the girl 金小鱼 who is a amercian girl won't accept it. Please see the girl's article again before you answer me:http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_5e28087a0100ex3b.html

So,it is not a matter about Racism,it is whether you still believe in “faithness and honesty”. If you don't believe in “faithness and honesty” anymore,you can accept it,or praise it.

Edited by fengyixiao

Please do not be mad! In discussing social issues there are many variable intertwined. Without being able to separate these issues we cannot “solve” the racism issue. I have a wife of thirty years and seven children. Honesty and faithfulness are very important . I tried my best to read your “ American girl” story but my Chinese is not so good.

At issue, is there a specific racist attitude toward Blacks in China? I think this young lady feels that there is.

I do not ignore丁慧, however in his words, "I have never felt with the people around What is the difference, but others look at the color of my skin so black, always a little that ... ..." black know that many people paid more attention to novelty and out of love, thought This is slowly thus hardly notice it. DING Hui still remember the scene when the kid to go to school, "I am a Chinese, one of Hangzhou. No matter how people look at me, I just thought. The first day of school, other kids look at me so black, none would dare speak to me But after all, we are all children, just a few days on the familiar, and soon became friends. "

I've been following news about 娄婧 and 丁慧 with great interest.

Both of them are awesome and they are my heroes and they should be considered 100% Chinese citizens in every way.

No one should be criticizing and trying to punish 娄婧 and 丁慧 for their parents jumping into bed with whoever they jump into bed with. We should not care either about their parents state of marriage, non-marriage, divorce, non-divorce, or the parents being colored black, white, yellow, brown, combinations of various colors, and so forth.

1、At issue, is there a specific racist attitude toward Blacks in China?

Absolutely there is. Because 99.8% chinese are yellow race and children are curious everything. If the children won't curious, it is more strange.

The children are not only curious about a black-skin children,they also will curious why their father have ”a beard“,why their mother have ”breast“.

This will also happend in korea,japen,poland,russia,etc.

And if a white or yellow children borned in Nigeria or Congo,they will be curioused too.

2、The girl shouldn't be criticized.

Yes. If her mother was not involved and tell her "faithless story" on TV,their will few of criticizing. And please notice,most of criticizing are come to the mother,not the girl.

Actually,people criticize "dishonesty and faithless". Otherwise, if chinese are Racist,丁慧 and his mother will get more criticizing,because 丁慧(a member of china men's vollayball) will present china to win a medal.

No one should be criticizing and trying to punish 娄婧 and 丁慧 for their parents jumping into bed with whoever they jump into bed with. We should not care either about their parents state of marriage, non-marriage, divorce, non-divorce, or the parents being colored black, white, yellow, brown, combinations of various colors, and so forth.

:clap on all counts, and then some!

Edited by crazy-meiguoren
(I'm a recovering 虔信者 trying to make up for lost time!)

• 1 month later...

This story seems to have just made it to the news in Australia.

I really feel sorry for this girl. Seems like she was really taken aback by it all and I bet it'll affect her confidence in a negative way for a long time to come.

At least from the article a couple of big figures in the Chinese media stood up for her. Judging by how impressionable the chinese are this should help a lot.