Chinese-Forums

QQ and spyware

tooironic

that will depend on how you define "spyware", certainly there are adware in combined size bigger than MS windows. My suggestion would be getting away as far as possible from official QQ (there is a reason Tencent became a multi-billion giant, in fact, the biggest internet company in China, in merely a decade.) Try open source alternative if possible. Though Tencentl, in order to protect is own revenue, takes very very very seriously any real or perceived threat to its core business, which is QQ. So don't bet on your alternative QQ last long. Chances are every time there is a upgrade, your alternative QQ would be bricked (to use a phrase reserved for Apple.) You can consider QQ as a company with Apple's control freak streak AND Microsoft's monopolistic power.

Pidgin doesn't work very well with QQ. It worked the first time when I used client version 2008, then I logged on and logged on and it says my account was disabled. Now I can't log on using the normal QQ. Anyone know the correct settings?

Edit: There do seem to be some bugs with Pidgin. After adding some other accounts, they don't show up but shows as active in the account list. And some of the functionality is not there. For instance, if you want to add a new buddy, you have to sign out of Pidgin and use the normal program to do so.

Edited by ABCinChina

• 1 month later...

The NYTimes recently wrote:

"China’s leading instant-messaging service, called QQ, automatically installs a program on users’ computers that monitors their communications and blocks censored text."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/08/world/asia/08censor.html?pagewanted=2&ref=technology

Does anybody have another source for this? If this is true, one more reason not to use QQ...

Not sure about that, but if someone wants to chat with Chinese, he/she just can't run away from QQ ....

Hey, anybody heard about this joke:

If 100 Chinese r using the Internet, 99 of them r using QQ ! .......Wait a minute, where is last one? ...... He is busy installing QQ ! : )

Not sure about that, but if someone wants to chat with Chinese, he/she just can't run away from QQ ....

In my experience, the vast majority of Chinese people I meet both online and irl have MSN as well, so it's never really been an issue for me.