Chinese-Forums

Ordering from books.com.tw within the US?

a-xing

Can anyone who has ordered recently help me out? I am a bit confused (okay, really confused) as to how to give them my address and make a payment. When I am on the shopping cart page there is a button for payment labeled 《國內》with the accompanying text: 開始結帳,請選國內取件(台澎金馬含離島地區).

I don't think this is the option I want. As I understand it in English, is means "《Domestic》 Begin payment, please choose domestic choice (?) (Taiwan, some places called peng,jin, and han(?), Malaysia, outlying islands, regional (?))"

Anyway, haha, could some direct me towards the correct way to order? Thank you!

There should be a 海外 (overseas) button next to the 國內 one. You'll want that option if you are in the U.S. trying to order. I've put through 3-4 orders to books.com.tw from the U.S. and have been pretty pleased. It's a good source for not only Chinese/Taiwanese books in traditional, but also all sorts of translated books (I recently ordered A Wrinkle in Time - 時間的皺紋).

If there is an option for "domestic", there should be another option for "overseas"(國外取件 or 海外取件) as well. You should try to find it.

PS: "台澎金馬含離島地區" refers to the whole area controlled by Taiwan (Republic of China). “台” refers to “台湾島” (the Island of Taiwan)

澎="澎湖列島"(the Penghu Isles which locate in the middle of Taiwan Strait)

金馬=金門島+馬祖島 two tiny islands near Amoy(Xiamen) coast which served as military posts before 1990s. To avoid ambiguation, Malaysia(馬來西亞)is called “大馬”

離島地區= other smaller islands under the sovereignty of Taiwan

I'm sorry, I looked all over the shopping cart page but I couldn't find any other ordering options. Should the button appear next to the one for 《國內》? Attached is a screenshot of my page.

@Last_Diagnosis

Thanks so much for clearing those place names up!

3204_thumb.attach

Okay, I've figured it out! Thank you for your help; I wouldn't have figured it out otherwise. It turns out the problem was a magazine had an ”X“ over the airplane icon on the product's page meaning it wouldn't ship over seas. :wall

Thanks again!

That's weird. Yes. The overseas button is right to the left of the domestic one. I tried a few different browsers and all showed the same for me (see pic). I'm a bit stumped. Maybe try a different computer?

edit: Ah. Gotcha.

3205_thumb.attach

Edited by Gleaves

• 6 years later...
  • New Members

I've been trying to order something from books.com.tw for a while, it's not until I get the the order forms I get a pop up telling me to input my phone number in half-width, I am 100% I'm doing it like normal unless there are numbers more "half" than the default on an English keyboard.

Does anything else have this problem?