Chinese-Forums

Chinese Synonym Dictionary / Study Book (商务馆学汉语近义词词典)

gato

http://product.dangdang.com/product.aspx?product_id=20593826

商务馆学汉语近义词词典

作  者:赵新,李英 主编

出 版 社:商务印书馆

出版时间:2009-1-1

页  数:570

This is not so much a dictionary as a study guide for synonyms. Its target audience are foreign learners of Chinese at intermediate level or above and their teachers. The differences between many synonyms are so subtle that even most native speakers can't explain them very well, though they might have a good intuitive grasp and are able to use them correctly.

The book focuses on 1030 set of synonyms, each consisting of two to four words, for a total of 2402 words. A typical dictionary would have 40,000 words or more, so this is far from a dictionary. Its strengths are in the detailed explanations on the different and usages of similar-sounding words and lots of examples sentences. You can see for yourself in the sample pages attached below.

Because it's neither comprehensive enough to be a dictionary nor small enough to read from cover to cover, I am not sure yet the best way to use this book. But I can see it being an interesting book to randomly flip through. Wouldn't you want to know what the difference is between 盖, 建, and 造? It seems that usage questions about synonyms are some of the most common questions on this forum.

(In the sample pages, you will see words enclosed parentheses following each example sentence. An asterisk before a word indicates that it cannot be interchanged with the underlined word in the sentence. Words not preceded by an asterisk, on the other hand, can be interchanged with the underlined word.)

SynonymDictionary_page2.tif

SynonymDictionary_page1.tif

• Like 1

Wow, I love this book! Yes, I agree that even native speakers will find it useful. For a learner like me, it really clears up a lot of confusion. I wonder though if there is an downloadable version of this book; I'd like one for my iPad.

I already have dictionaries like this, but most of them are aimed to native speakers, so I think I'll still check this one out - I especially like the number of example sentences presented for each group (these are always good, the more, the better)