Chinese-Forums

help with a chinese (dimsum) menu item please.

jinpei12

• New Members

Hi,

I need help with a chinese character on a dimsum menu item. There is no Chinese person available to me that I can ask at the moment.

It was stunning that I could not find this character in a paper dictionary or software dictionaries.

I have looked in Oxford concise Chinese-English dictionary;

Pablo (software);

Wakan (Software);

kiang input (software);

nckiu.com (online);

mandarintools.com (online);

The first part of the food item is: "jellyfish + 拼牛 + mystery word" (it isn't an expensive dish, it is about 6-7 dollars.)

The left radical of the mystery word is moon: 月展 and the right character is zhan3 meaning verb--postpone/develop or noun--exhibition.

It is funny how a restaurant would put a character so uncommon on their menu.

If anyone can help me I certainly would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Jinpei

• New Members

[Oct-9-2011 about 15:00hrs westCoast time)

Thank you Skylee & Jbradfor for speedy and informative replies!

The dimsum paper menu is a printer company printed form. it is from a kind of restaurant (modern i guess) where the server hands you a form and pencil, and you check off the items you wish to order. [ i grew up with usually going to old fashioned type restaurant where, the kitchen/serving staff push out the dimsum on wheeled carts and trays ]. But i am straying from the issue.

( On my part i spent too much time obsessing over this character. I was ready to dismiss it as some restaurant staff who got too creative and must have created a HanZi which doesn't exist).

Thank you for your efforts and your links. Not only do I see a picture of the food item, I also see/learn of a new website where I can enter HanZi that I haven't yet learned!

Cheers,

Jinpei

I also see/learn of a new website where I can enter HanZi that I haven't yet learned!

If you like those, you might also like this website: http://tatoeba.org/eng/tools/search_hanzi_kanji . You can enter parts of characters, and it will show you all characters that contain those parts.

• 2 months later...
  • New Members

Hi.,

Belated thanks for the link. That website appears to promote recognition of subunits of written-characters. It is an indispensible method of finding hanzi.

I do not have an image scanner, but I have taken a picture of the paper menu word (even though you have already answered the question.) . It was taken with a junior-grade camera, with no macro-function, so I cannot get a close up of the word with clarity. I am trying to share it on this post by tinypic. I hope it works.

(summary of word possible meanings: muscle; or "platter/plate/exhibition")

20111026_Av077b-menu.jpg -- orig file name

http://tinypic.com/r/30mr49d/5 -- link for sending

http://i43.tinypic.com/30mr49d.jpg -- link for layouts

Bless you & happy holidays.

Jinpei

30mr49d.jpg