Chinese-Forums

No good extensions for Safari yet?

bluetortilla

I use Safari as my main web browser, but whenever I'm studying or looking up grammar I use Firefox for the great translation extensions. I'd rather just use Safari though, so periodically I check for any new extensions for Safari. Today I found nada again, except for a Google translator that translates the whole darn page. Anybody know what the deal with Safari is? Just not enough users? Is there an extension out there I'm missing?

Although other browsers have started supporting extensions, and many popular extensions are now available for other browsers, extensions are still Firefox's territory. That's the killer feature of Firefox.

It's unlikely that most of these will ever be ported to Safari.

• 5 months later...

Yes, I have discovered that about Dictionary.app, and it is a good feature. But it's not exactly 'pop up,' it's a three-step operation with waiting involved.

Trivial complaint I know. In the future someone will be complaining that their babelfish brain chip implant isn't as great as they thought it would be! 

I don't know how to do it with a mouse, but with a trackpad all you need to do is three finger tap on a word and the definition does pop up... but maybe that's not common knowledge?

Example from this very post:

Screenshot_2014_02_15_21_57_10.png

• Like 2

FRILL

I'll try the three-finger tap thing FSD. Thanks.

Frill is putting automated FRILL typos in my posts on Chinese-Forums MK. Whaddup with that? Otherwise, it's installed and enabled but not working (meaning I presume I just haven't figured it out yet). I'll let you know.

Somehow the extension is messing with the system or with aText, a Mac shorthand writing utility.

Oh no! That must be very annoying. It's quite possible that two apps are interfering with each other. I will try and give aText a go and see if I can figure out what's going on.

Thanks again for the bug report! I've updated the extension so that it won't cause problems with rich text editors that use iframes in interesting ways (such as the one on this forum :wink:) Safari should auto-update the extension to version 1.0.1, otherwise you can re-install it.

• 5 months later...