Chinese-Forums

Hukou question - Child born outside of China to a Chinese parent!

Mcnubn

Hello

My wife (Chinese) and I (UK/Irish) are planning to emigrate to Ireland next year, and as is often the case with married couples, we'll be looking at having kids.

Whilst I have read quite a bit about kids born in China to a parent that isn't Chinese, there seems to be much less about kids born outside of China to a parent that is Chinese.

If we have a kid in Ireland/UK, is it possible at all to get that child onto my wife's Hukou? I suspect the answer is no, but there seems to be very little information about this issue.

Any advice or information that anyone has will be hugely appreciated!

Thank you

can a (China born) child be on a parent's hukou? I thought a hukou was a kind of ID card or birth certificate, and a child would get its own hukou.

(but I don't know how it actually works, just curious about it.)

Never mind getting the kid onto your wife's hukou, the issue may be whether or not your wife can keep hers: See gato's info some years pack

The hukou is meant to keep track of where people live. If your wife isn't living in China, strictly speaking she shouldn't be on one. 

• 2 months later...

If your child is born outside of China there is not way he can get a Hukou, much less Chinese citizenship.   My wife is pregnant and she is going to have our child in China for that reason.  but visiting my country is going to be tricky for the child if he wants to keep his hukou.  I imagine the main reason you want Hukou is to have the option of your child doing some schooling in China right?   That is the main value of it.