Chinese-Forums

Obtain student visa with one to one lessons?

lmorin

Hello everybody,

I am willing to go to China and study Mandarin to become fluent. I've been looking into jobs as an english/italian teacher, but the truth is that if I find a good one to one mandarin lessons school which is not a rip-off and which could also provide me with a student visa, I don't really need to work. Anybody got any ideas?
I saw an old post about somebody saying he used to pay 6000rmb per 6 months at a university to have the visa, and that he got 1 to 1 lessons for that. I guess if it's a good amount of hours a week, that would be a good price (and if it's in a Mandarin speaking area)!

Thanks

• Like 1

But from that post: 

"simply a reason to have a long-term visa... I rarely take these classes"

Also, that was in early 2012. Everything is more expensive now. 

Say you're getting two hours of classes every weekday. 6000Y every six months means you're paying 25Y an hour. There's no way you get decent teaching for that, particularly going through a university where the money doesn't even go directly to the teacher. 

It'd be useful if you posted more about what you want to do, and where you'd like to live. Maybe read this and then tell us some more about what you're looking for.

Welcome to the site!

I'm willing to stay in China as long as it takes to learn Mandarin. I've already studied it a bit as an extra course at uni, but I'd say I know it "just enough to survive". Budget-wise, I have a medium budget, but I don't want to get ripped off, nor do I believe that spending great amounts of money can really help. I think every hour of lesson should correspond to 5/6 hours of conversation, and because of that, the only thing that matters about the place I go to is that it will enable me to speak a lot of Mandarin with anybody I meet, whether in the streets, at school, or at work. I believe one to one classes are by far the most effective, so I would avoid group classes.

I wouldn't mind working as an English/Italian teacher (or other possible jobs), but not more than 20 hours a week.

Imorin, I've not actually gone to China yet to study Chinese, but I've put a lot of time and energy into checking it out. Thought I'd share with you what I learned so far.

Originally, I was going to go to Beijing, but the more I read about the air quality, and the Beijing erhua (i.e., local dialect) I began to cool on Beijing. I've actually got several very good friends there (language exchange partners) and that was quite appealing in itself.  I even found a homestay where they'd let me stay for free, if I only taught their kid English for an hour every night!  But based on several factors, I gradually lost interest in Beijing.

Then I began to read really good things about Keats in Kunming. Better air, great reviews on the school, and they definitely offer one-on-one training. About the same time, I began to learn that Harbin is known in many circles as having the most standard Mandarin in all of China. And that's when I discovered the 1to1 Mandarin Workshop in Harbin. I believe Keats can do a student visa for you (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but 1to1 Mandarin Workshop in Harbin can't yet.

So why am I even mentioning the Mandarin Workshop, if it can't do a student visa...and that was your original question? Well, because of the great reviews, and the location. Granted, I've not been there yet, but from the sounds of it...if you're really keen on learning very standard Mandarin, and being able to practice it on the streets...from what I've read, you can't do much better than that. Turns out that many broadcasters come from Harbin, because their Mandarin is so, so standard.

For what it's worth...

• Like 1

I'm not sure where you're from but can't you just apply for a tourist visa? In the US you can apply for 1 month, 3 month, 6 month, 1 year, and 2 year, they're all the same price too. My mom applied for a one year multiple entry visa and has been visiting me here with no problems.

There are a few places that if you email them they will let you volunteer an hour a day and you can get free food and accommodation and a 6 month visa. I did it myself. 

Unnecessary ad removed...

Best of luck 

'Unnecessary ad removed...'

Why so? it was a link to a free service where you can find language partners and tutors. 

With free language exchange or your money going straight to the teacher you wont get ripped off and you will be helping them out a lot. 

volunteering and finding a language partner would be great for people on a tight budget. 

Especially where some schools charge tonnes per lesson and pay teachers barely anything. 

Anyways ,ye loads of schools will accept volunteers. Omeida in Yangshuo accepted me for 8 months volunteer to speak english an hour a day and get free food and accommodation. Now I ended up actually working but if you email a few schools you should find somewhere 

Best of luck man 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info everybody! And AaronLIC, I just emailed Omeida yesterday, the place looks stunning I'd really love to go volunteering there!! Would you know names of any other places that offer similar programs (volunteer 1 hour a day and get visa, accommodation, etc.)?
Oh, and could you try to post again that link that was removed, please? Cheers!

And grawrt, I can't apply for more than a 3 months tourist visa coz I've got an Italian passport. And to be able to apply for a tourist visa I must have every place to stay at and flights booked as well...

James3, how did u find the homestay? I guess a homestay can't provide u with a visa, unless it's with some organization, tho.

Hey man, 

Glad you contacted them, there is a tutor in Yangshuo called Janie she is well known. Otherwise you could get friendly with the teachers of Omeida and ask could they do private lessons, It would help them and also help you as they are great teachers but it might not be allowed by the Boss. 

It really depends on what kind of skills you have. Both times I came to China I just cold emailed people telling them how I could help them and some people replied and offered me a job. 

The Website is Live it China . I work with them by the way. they match language learners with speakers. It is quite good I have made a few friends with it here in Xi'an. 

Live it China are also doing a Chinese language Challenge so you can contact them. They basically set you up to reach a certain goal in 3 months and help you out along the way. Here is the Chinese language Challenge

Best of luck