Chinese-Forums

Fuzzy pinyin

Shelley

Just got my new Huawei y530 phone on Saturday. Its great. One question well actually two, what it fuzzy pinyin? and should I enable mixed input Chinese/English?

I want my phone to stay in English but be able to input characters into texts, wechat etc, so is this what mixed input means?

Fuzzy pinyin is where you can type yin where you mean ying, sa when you mean sha, and vice versa. And perhaps a few more. If I were you I'd turn it off, it doesn't reinforce standard Chinese. If you type the wrong pinyin, better to find out that strictly speaking it's wrong and get it right the next time. (I don't begrudge anyone their use of fuzzy pinyin and it's lovely that it exists, but I think it's not good for learners.)

I think mixed input is what you want, then you can switch between Chinese and English typing.

• Like 1

Well well, you don't seem to be able to enable simplified pinyin unless you opt for fuzzy pinyin, but you get to choose what to add to the list of things like c  = ch and yin=ying etc. so I only choose c = ch and the whole thing sprang into life. I can now switch between English and Chinese on the keyboard.

Whew I thought I was never going to get it working.