Chinese-Forums

嗯 in text messages

abcdefg

I have a young friend, age about 25, who uses 嗯 all the time to signify yes-type thoughts. Another friend with whom I frequently chat, age about 40, has never used it even once so far as I can remember. The relationship with the two friends is equally informal.

Is this just a generational 九零后 sloppy speech habit? Perhaps an attempt to be cool or excessively casual?

Is it common in other parts of China as well as here? (Kunming.) Both the above friends are female. Do young guys commonly use it too?

Am asking about its use in 短信, QQ or 微信 more than about face to face speech.

I use it every day. It's not excessively casual, just another common and informal way of saying yes.

You can look it up in the sixth edition of 現代漢語詞典 or here.

Just don't use 恩 when you mean to say yes. It's wrong.

Edit: This corpus may be useful to you. Enter the character and see the results. : )

• Like 1

Had a male friend in Taiwan (70后 I think, if they count that way there) who used it all the time, although he usually wrote it as 恩 (this is actually wrong, as Kenny says). It's a bit more 口语/cool, but not excessively so I think.

I use it all the time and have had it used in texts from people as old a 40. 

I think it's a matter of how the person wants to present themselves. I found the same thing back in the States were some friends would use "uh" and "um" while others left these sorts of things out entirely. 

Thanks for the information. I understand better now.

Realize I say it a lot when asked a "yes/no" question in a casual setting instead of 对 or 是 or some variant of those. But I had been reluctant to write it, out of concern it might convey a slightly too casual tone or even be perceived as marginally disrespectful.

And that is a very useful link, Kenny. (http://www.cncorpus.org/CCindex.aspx)

Footnote: I was raised in the American South during a time when parents wanted their children to address elders with "Yes, Sir" and "Yes, Ma'am." Some their corrections stuck even after I grew up.

I would have never dreamed of replying to my teacher with a "Yep" or "Yeah." Even "O.K." would not have been adequate most of the time. My mother and father would have been dismayed, incensed or both.

Meng Lelan, would you use it in texting your teacher back?

No, I never texted that to him because he was my teacher and I thought my using it would be way too informal. But then again he was ten years younger than me. 

I use 嗯 in chatting. I equate it to "ok" or "yeah" - just a quick response in the affirmative.

Had a male friend in Taiwan (70后 I think, if they count that way there)

In Taiwan, the count is with the Republic of China (民國) years, and is based on the decade. The current year is the Republic of China year 103 (current Western year - 1911, 2014 - 1911 = 103). For instance, your friend, born between 1971 and 1980, was born in the Republic of China years between 60 and 69 (ie, born in the 60s of the Republic of China calendar), and would be called a 六年級生 (year six student). A person saying he's 七年級生 would be born between 1981 to 1991.

• Like 1

Kenny, I was asking about writing 嗯, not about saying it.

The crux of the issue was the degree of informality and courtesy it conveyed. Thanks to your help and the help of the other respondents here, I understand it better now.

谢谢!