Chinese-Forums

continuing samba dance in China

tallcity

Hello,

Continuing on with finding a good city to spend two (possibly miserable, possibly happy) semesters..

I am currently part of a samba dance group here in Colorado, and wanted to find a city with access to either dance groups or companies, to continue with it.

I know Shanghai would have some international crowds, but I wonder if Xiamen or Chengdu would also be good choices, with large Latin populations.

Chris

It's a long time since I've looked, but I haven't found any high level samba or other latin dance groups in Shanghai. I attended a course in basic samba about 7 years ago in Shanghai, which was OK for integrating into local life, but was too basic for my level. Unfortunately I didn't find any advanced groups.

There must be some around, as there are some high level latin and ballroom Chinese dancers (though possibly a very small number compared to population), but I suspect they have (semi-)professional arrangements. (For example, dance is often a university course in China.)

If you are looking for foreign groups, well, good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

There are people dancing Samba in Beijing. We had a Mexican student here last year and I remember her going every weekend. In case you go to Beijing, let me know and I can find out where exactly where she went to. There are loads of Latinos in Beijing and Salsa is all over the place, but I remember it took her a bit longer to find Samba.