Chinese-Forums

Cantonese - English dictionary for pleco

Junso1

Are there any Canto - EN dicts for pleco? I find one of the most useful things about pleco is that I can take a big list of words, import it into pleco and export the list with all the dictionary definitions. I would like to do the same thing with a list of Cantonese words (used in spoken Cantonese). If pleco doesn't have a dictionary that can do this, is there any online dictionary that can do bulk Cantonese lookups?

Also, anyone know of any good spoken Cantonese word frequency lists or good dialogue?

We don't offer one yet but we will be adding one later this summer - one we created ourselves, actually. The current PLC and CC databases together cover quite a lot of Cantonese, though, and our flashcard importer can automatically generate Jyutping readings, so you might find that even the current system can save you a good bit of time. I'm not aware of any online Cantonese dictionaries that offer wide-ranging access to their data like you describe.

If you don't mind my asking, is there a particular list of Cantonese words you're eager to use? Where is it? We've been benchmarking our effort by sampling it against other dictionaries / wordlists / etc (pick 200 random entries and see how many of them we cover and how accurately) so we're always on the lookout for good new Cantonese wordlists. I'm afraid I don't know of any good spoken Cantonese frequency lists, we'd love to find one of those ourselves - not sure if anyone has even done a study on that subject recently.

• Like 1

@Mike, you may have seen these already:

- In 2014 Greenwood Press published a "Putonghua Cantonese English Converter" by Shin Kataoka and Cream Lee that is essentially a frequency list of 6000+ words based on actual HK usage. You can look up words by Mandarin or English:

http://www.green-woodpress.com/products_detail.php?id=118

- The old "Colloquial Cantonese and Putonghua Equivalents" by Zeng Zifan could probably also be used as a frequency list by topic.