Chinese-Forums

How to live in China without a Bachelor's degree

LinZhenPu

How can an ordinary every-day person who does not have much money but wants to make a scene change and move to China ASAP but does not have a Bachelor's degree pull it off without working illegally as an English teacher without a Z visa?

This is how you do it.

1) Study Chinese in your home country or anywhere in the world to a HSK3 level.

2) Pass the HSK3 with a high score.

3) Get into China on a one academic year Confucius Institute scholarship. Study your butt off, make lots of Chinese friends, sample lots of different Chinese dishes, travel and see China during semester breaks. Have a great time!

4) Pass HSK5 with a high score, or pass HSK6 if you're really good ;)

5) Get accepted into the 3rd year of a 4 year Chinese Language for Foreigners degree. You will probably be able to get a CSC scholarship or Chinese Local Government scholarship to do this.

6) Do a visa run. Perhaps not required, if you go to the same university as you went to for the one academic year!

7) Continue to study your butt off, graduate with a Bachelor's degree.

Congratulations, now you have what you need to get a Z visa.

The next choice is to either continue your studies and get a Master of Teaching Chinese as a Secondary Language, for which you are likely to be able to get another full Hanban scholarship. Or find a job.

For me, if I went through all the above, I would probably continue to the MTCSOL degree because I feel I would much rather be a Chinese teacher than an English teacher.

Or perhaps a Master of Confucian Philosophy degree...   :shock:

• Like 4

"5) Get accepted into the 3rd year of a 4 year Chinese Language for Foreigners degree. You will probably be able to get a CSC scholarship or Chinese Local Government scholarship to do this."

Didn't realise this was possible! Got  a list of these?

Edit: oops

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/40354-universities-that-lets-you-graduate-in-two-year-if-you-have-hsk5/#comment-303539

• Like 1

That'll be handy. One way to avoid going through huge lists of results for "Chinese Language" on sites like CUCAS might be to work from SICAS' results:

http://www.sicas.cn/DegreeListSearch.aspx (Humanities -> Teaching Chinese Language as a Foreign Language &/Chinese Language and Literature)

These give the HSK prerequisite in the summary results - presumably suitable courses will ask for "HSK 0" :)

Doesn't look like there are many - maybe other more exhaustive sites also give HSK reqts in a similiar convenient form though?

@LinZhenPu, I think this could be a good plan actually. "Or perhaps a Master of Confucian Philosophy degree..." -->  Go for it! Heck, why not?

@onebir, many thanks for posting that link to the thread about other universities that do this. Very useful.

I looked into this idea meself earlier as well. Here are my previous posts about this with direct links to the university websites.

This is an attractive option and I thank LinZhenPu for bringing this to the attention of the forums once again.

1) Xiamen University

my post at the top of page 5:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/35661-xiamen-university/page-5

2) Guangdong University of Foreign Studies

my post here:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/50758-guangdong-university-of-foreign-studies/

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

The plan is OK, but there's a simpler way. Just go directly for the 4 year degree from the outset. You get to go to China straight away rather than faffing around in your own country trying to get to HSK 3 first.

• Like 2

@LinZhenPu You can receive Chinese Government Scholarship for undergrad program if you're less than 25. According to the CGS website the scholarship can cover up to 7 years (1-2 years for preparation and 4-5 years for your degree). So *technically* you can apply if you're 24 and live and study for free until you're 31  :lol:

• Like 1

I got a CSC full degree scholarship at 25. I was 26 when I landed in China to start the course.

However It was obtained via my university, at which I was a mature student.

The real kick in the teeth is that I had a full degree scholarship, with a year of Chinese tuition leading onto any degree I wanted, all paid for, but...  I had to return back to the UK after just one year, to finish my expensive, not-as-culturally-exciting degree back home!

@NotChinese

Wow. Why did you have to finish the degree first, couldn't you have finished it after completing a degree in China?

Were you able to go back to China on the scholarship after you finished your UK degree?

In the end my scholarship was just for one year. I had the chance to do the full degree but when applying (while still in the UK) I ticked the box saying 'one year'.

My degree subject is physics which is pretty complex so it's a risk to take time out halfway through. It's been difficult enough returning to it after just one year away!!! I think the maximum gap I'd be allowed is two years away, after that my uni would have struck me off.

In hindsight I could, and should, have quit my UK degree and done the full degree in China. I mean, I could have just started again from scratch, learned Chinese and got a physics degree in China, all for free! But there was a lot of confusion about all this during my application so I just played it safe and took the one year, which is still much, much better than nothing! I still feel very fortunate to have got what I did.

• Like 1