Chinese-Forums

Is 20 000 RMB/month a good salary in Nanjing?

FilipeNZ

I had an interview for a teaching position at a private school in Nanjing and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if 20 000 RMB a month is a good teaching salary for that city.

Would that be a good salary for a family of 4?

Would my wife also have to work?

Would we be ok to save money?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Do they pay for accommodation? Where are your kids going to go to school? How much will that cost? What standard of living do you expect? 20,000 for a family of four in Chinese terms is very good. If you're paying international school fees and want a gorgeous big apartment, maybe not. 

• Like 1

Hi Roddy

The package include accomodation and schooling for my children. I'll have to pay is for utilities such as electricity.

The gross salary is of 32,000 RMB but I'm guessing it would be around 20,000 after tax. Am I correct?

Keep in mind that your expense pattern in China will be different; e.g., you'll be eating out a lot, taking cabs frequently, and may hire someone to help with the housework, shopping and children. While that's not a shoe-string income, with four of you I suspect you'll find yourself spending every yuan.

Your wife won't necessarily have to work, but if she's the sort who takes comfort in small luxuries to ease the hardship of living in China, then you'll need a second income. Besides, she could well go stir-crazy sitting in an empty flat all day.

Look closely at where your school and housing are located; Nanjing, like all Chinese cities, covers a vast area beyond the urban core.

It sounds doable and more than reasonable, although you won't get rich from this.

On a not money-related note, check what kind of schooling will be provided for your children, and whether that is the kind of school(ing) you would wantfor them. International schools are generally great but very expensive, while at the other end of the spectrum local Chinese schools will of course be a lot cheaper, but perhaps not the kind of educational environment you want for your children.