Chinese-Forums

Chinese Research Paper, MLA Question

natra

I am writing a research paper on Story of the Stone, and while the work is in English, I would also like to cite where the quotations I am using can be found in my Chinese edition as well.

MLA does not seem to provide a clear rule on how to do this. Would anyone here happen to know?

I think Natra wants to quote the English version at several points in the body of his/her research paper, but alongside those also simultaneously provide equivalent page references to a Chinese version of the Story. So the entries in the bibliography aren't really the problem, if I've understood things correctly.

Yes, this is what I mean. Sorry if that was not clear.

just undeleted this bit:

A brief look at the MLA handbook shows that indeed there is no explicit rule for this, so you will have to extrapolate, and rely on your own judgement or on that of your professor's. The handbook does suggest in case of commonly cited works that have been published in several editions, that it would be advisable to add chapter and section numbers after the page number (271; ch. 13, sec. 2). Now one could extrapolate on that and maybe add the page number of the translation in the way (271/133; ch .13, sec. 2), and explain this usage in a footnote, but I'd check this with your professor, or on a literature forum rather than here...