Chinese-Forums

Cost of locksmith in Beijing

yonitabonita

Last night I locked myself out of my bedroom and had to get a locksmith. Anyone out there in the know about what the going rate is?

I only needed my lock picked, not changed. My lock isn't fancy or complicated. Just an average looking key (my key vocab's a bit poor I know). The initial quote (given to me by my 保安)was 300 yuan. It seemed a bit steep so I took a walk to do some research. My local beer seller found a guy for 100 yuan.

I paid it, and am glad it's over but am still really curious to know what the price should have been. For a 5 minute job, 5 minute travel time, and no spare parts 100 yuan seems pretty steep. Someone tell me, what do locals pay for such a service?

My Hunan housemates think 20 yuan in Hunan, but Hunan isn't Beijing. Anyone know?

Thanks,

Y

You got taken, in my opinion. I'd say it should cost 20-25 RMB max for a home visit even in Beijing, and then whatever parts and labor - in this case, nothing. Of course, since it's critical, you have less room to bargain with people who want to exact a foreigner surcharge.

In the past my housemates have always insisted that we go to the next neighborhood over to find a locksmith rather than using the guy at the foot of our building, for security reasons (we always duplicated our keys on the other side of town, too). So it might even be cheaper if it's a local guy.

Beijing has a new hotline for licensed locksmiths: 1600110 - if you're worried about security.

The same mistake cost me RMB520 in Edinburgh

They've started using RMB in Edinburgh? That I have to see! :)

I paid ¥30 recently here in Guangxi. I was glad to get into my house, but it did seem a bit steep for 3 seconds work! But then expertise costs.

They've started using RMB in Edinburgh? That I have to see!
Just in case you don't know, my brain is an automatic currency converter! :mrgreen:
but it did seem a bit steep for 3 seconds work!
The charge was not for 3 seconds work. It's called "call-out fee".

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure Joel. I needed a locksmith tonight and tried arranging it myself. The first guy I chatted to quoted me 100 and insisted that the telephone services were much higher, so I told him no thanks out of the belief that 50 or 60 was probably the right price. Headed over to get the recommendation of someone from my real estate agent. He walked down the street to a different place and negotiated down to 100.

So I'm sure you can pay less, but I don't think you're getting horrendously ripped off at 100 . I got the impression that the market was being set by the call-in telephone services, and that the people at the lower end are having to deal with harassment for being non-authorized locksmiths, whatever that means.

Incidentally, in case anyone hits this thread in the future needing information on locksmiths, you can call for one by phone in Beijing at 51111111. The guy that came to my place was 夏德飞 (Xia Defei) and he can apparently be reached by phone at 13021191806 or 13391867899. He looks a bit like Bruno Kirby.

That's interesting, trevelyan. The last one I used I found at a long-line of key-cutters outside of a supermarket, so I'm not sure if he was licensed or not.

Other house calls have been in the ~30 yuan range as well - that's been the quote for someone to come and install a sink or replace a windowpane. I haven't had to ask for a locksmith in about a year, so maybe the market has changed....

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the subject of handy persons, my friend had a drain clogged and the landlord paid a plumber 10 kuai to snake the drain. Basically a long set of metal rings that took 15 minutes to put down the drain.

10 kuai for a plumber.

• 7 months later...

Thought I would add that I think it really depends on the door/skill of the locksmith. Just rented a new place where I accidentally broke the key off in the door on move in day. My landlord called a locksmith that charged 20 kuai. Yet, this was the small screen door with a simple lock. I was told by him in front of the agent that it would cost 100 kuai if I ever needed my big heavy door opened.

Sure enough, tonight my big door became jammed. I had my key, but one of the bolts was stuck. I didn't have the original locksmith's number, so I called a number pasted to my door. He came pretty prepared with a briefcase of tools and had to pry the door open. Greased up the lock, poked it a few times, and then tightened everything up. He charged 80 kuai. I think I'll call him if I have a serious problem next time as he came really prepared.