Chinese-Forums

Beijing Normal University (aka 北京师范大学)

Zhende ma?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so right now I suddenly have a "Apply Dorm" button on bnulxsh.com, so I would assume my application has been accepted (haven't heard from it yet). Dorm 2 seems to be fully booked, but I guess that will change at the end of february. How did you guys handle it? As soon as I have confirmation that my application was accepted I think I'm gonna call them in order to reserve a spot at dorm 2.

Oh and..how are the "shared kitchens"? Anybody know (for any dorm)? Like equipment or how clean they are..just wondering if I could cook there once a month or so.

@thrice12

The campus itself has: two outdoor tracks (I assume 400m); tennis courts; basketball courts; volleyball courts and a relatively new athletics building (with a 50m pool, gyms etc). The pool is also where the US Olympic team trained in the lead-up to the Beijing games. I've heard that we can gain access, for a fee, to the athletics building at the University of Posts and Telecommunications (across the road from the BNU west gate). The No.1 dorm also has a couple of weights and very basic machines for use. I'm sure there are other options, since I'm only truly familiar with the pool, but it should be easy enough to find once you're here.

@Benzi

The online reservation system is the only one I know of. So, if it says its full, it probably is for next term. If you're coming next fall, or in the summer, the reservations won't be available yet. Also, I just checked our kitchen... It seems to be mainly large hotplates and a couple of sinks, so stove-top cooking should be fine. Given the number of options around campus, between canteens, restaurants, vendors etc, you may never actually end up cooking, though.

• Like 1

Well thats sad, guess I have to take the double room than. I will call anyway, just to be sure.

Sometimes I like to cook western food (as it is hard to get, especially if it should be cheap, yet authentic), so I think I'm gonna cook every now and then if the kitchen is alright.

Thanks m000gle, i'll definitely check out everything BNU have to offer.

Could anyone shed some light on the length of holidays BNU give? I'm hoping to pop back to England during some of them.

edit: i'm guessing the internet they provide if via ethernet. has anyone tried to connect an airport express to create a wireless network?

edit 2: do BNU require a physical examination for non CSC students?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have contacts at BNU and I have reliable information that the 2011 summer registration will open in April. The dates will be:

Session A: July 4 - July 29

Session B: August 1 - August 26

Stay tuned to bnulxsh.com in the next couple of weeks for registration info.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any former students that know which material is used for the beginners course in chinese at BNU?

I am planning to study for a year, starting this fall. So I will use this summer to work,save money and prepare myself during my free time. It would be of great help if I could get my hands on the books we will use in class.

-Keitha

@keitha

I'm actually a current student, who started in the beginner/100-level (i.e. starting from pinyin and 你好) class last fall and hope to be around for at least another year. So, I can hopefully help you out with whatever you need ^^ The books used in 100 are from the China Social Sciences Press:

- 汉语会话课本 (conversation class)

- 汉语听力课本 (listening class)

- 汉语精读课本 (reading class)

They're all quite good, and since you start from the absolute basics its not nescessary to have them ahead of time. As far as I know, the rest of the classes use the same series of texts, just with newspaper reading added in in the 200 levels and above.

• Like 1

Oh, what a fast reply! Thank you!

I knew how to write and pronounce about 3-400 characters after one semester of mandarin studies here in Sweden (1 year ago). I think I can regain the characters I have forgotten since then and hopefully add a few more during this summer. I don't recognize the books you mentioned and they seem to be hard to get through amazon. I might have to use the material I have until I start the course. I just don't want to be too stressed out by the writing/reading while I work on my speaking/listening skills. :)

That's not far off where I was when starting, though you may be a bit stronger. My guess is you'll be in the 100 class, but you wont actually know until writing the placement test in September. To be honest, I preferred starting from scratch, to jumping in way above my level, since it meant re-learning/mastering the basics and having a slightly more relaxed first month while still settling in.

When it comes to the books, you might be just as well off to review the materials you already have. I actually purchased two NPCR volumes to study before coming, and even brought them with me, but given the quality of the teaching and rate we learn here I've yet to crack them open post-arrival.

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Hello everyone,

I just sent off my application via the online system for the Summer course B in August, but like a few other people I'm wondering what happens now, ie. confirming my place, payment, reserving accommodation and so on. There was an option to select 'please help me reserve a place in the university dorms' on the form, but when I changed it to print mode it seemed to disappear...can anybody shed some light on the application process?

Is there anyone else here taking summer course B?

• 1 year later...