Chinese-Forums

Hanzi 漢字 for greater numbers, like 廿/卄 20, 卅 30, 卌 40, 皕 200....

Xi'Er Dun

I have come across Hanzi 漢字/汉字 for greater numbers (anything beyond ten) like 卄 [nian4], 廿 [nian4] and 廾 [gong4,nian4] for twenty, 卅 [sa4] and 丗 [shi4] for thirty, 卌 [xi4] for forty and even 皕 [bi4] for two hundred.

My question is "is there any more of these Hanzi for greater numbers, like a character for fifty, or five-hundred or anything along those lines?"

I am familiar with 百 [bai3] for one-hundred, 千 [qian1] for one-thousand, 萬/万 [wan4] for ten-thousand, 億/亿 [yi4] for hundred-million, 兆 [zhao4] for Chinese Million, Japanese and Taiwanese Trillion.

I have also found that the Hanzi Characters, 卍 [wan4] and 卐 once meant ten-thousand, and 亖 [si4] was once used for four.

Can anyone add to my list of known Hanzi, whether they be for higher numbers or just variants for lower numbers?

謝謝您

Xi'Er Dun 希爾頓 from Australia 澳洲

Hi, 廿 20, 卅 30 and 卌 40 are often used in oral Cantonese, but not mandarin. They seems to be an phonetically "abbreviated" version of 二十,三十 and 四十. It should be noted that these numbers are usually not used without followed by another digit. For example, it's ok to say "廿二" (jaa ji, 22) but not "廿" (20).