Chinese-Forums

The 2009 Aims and Objectives Progress Thread

renzhe

Hey Guys,

I had some job issues throughout the year so as things go I think I did fairly well.

Chinese

Chinese writing: Try and write at least 2 Chinese articles a month (does anyone else find writing Chinese tricky as well?) - 1/2 I did one article a week for about 4 months (usually for a class but still good and gave me experience writing on various topics.)

Keep on with at least one Tutor class a week - yes twice a week.

Listen to Chinese radio or Chinesepod on the commute to work. -Nope though I will work on this and CHinese KTV music as well.

Participate actively in Chinese at office meetings. - Changed my job back to teaching english but when I had the chance I use my Chinese .

Read some short novels during vacations (spring festival is coming up...) -Nope - Read some but English ones about China . I think I will try the book of the month club perhaps. Or try San Guo. I read magazines and Newspapers fine so it shouldn't be that much more difficult right?

Use Chinese to teach Migrant worker kids. -nope - the school is way out of town and they didn't follow up with me. I may try this again though, Saturday mornings are possible...

Fitness

Go to the Gym at least 3 times a week. -yes most of the time.

Work to the goal of pull ups. -failed but don't think it is much of a big deal.

Keep playing Ultimate frisbee and play a match against Shanghai or Ningbo. -played in 4 tournaments. I hope to take more people this time to the tournament in the Shanghai region.

Aims/objectives:

Read more Chinese, and perhaps even learn the words I don't know so that I remember them for longer than two pages.

Translate a lot and get paid for it.

(Objective for a future year: translate a book.)

Vague plans:

Find a class/tutor for Taiwanese and/or Cantonese. First find the money to pay for those things.

Well, I did read, although perhaps not really 'more'. Didn't put any real effort in learning words though.

Translated some poems, a sanwen and two zhongpian xiaoshuo, and got paid for all of it.

Planning to translate a book this year.

Never found a tutor for either Taiwanese or Cantonese (never looked very hard either).