Chinese-Forums

NPCR vol.6 available

wedge

Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere already but i just visited the BLCP website today and sitting there in the online bookstore was New Practical Chinese Reader Vol. 6. I'm not at that level yet but from lurking on this site it seems like there are quite a few people waiting for it!

http://www.blcup.com/en/list_1.asp?id=2893

Wow, finally. I really could have used that two years ago.

Glad they've finally released what it says is available on the back of all the other books.

Exactly my feeling.

I don't know if I should get it to complete the collection, but I don't really need this book anymore.

I've got to go get volume 6 and see what stories are in that one.

In book 5, there were no stories related to the characters from the first 4 books. The texts were a collection of abridged essays by different authors, preparing you for reading serious literature and news stories. I imagine that volume 6 will be similar.

No, don't think so.

She went shopping and seemed to hang out with one of the Chinese students (I forgot the name), but there was nothing about a relationship. Ma Dawei, on the other hand, was dating Xiaoyan, the tourist guide, and his friend Jieke married a Chinese girl from the countryside.

I found NPCR 6 yesterday by accident in a bookstore, and bought it immediately. I'm far from that level, but it's nice to finally have the full set.

The last page in the book is an advertisement for the BLCP website, along with information about volumes 1 to 4 - it seems that they are again revising the first 4 volumes, and if the pictures are accurate, they will also have a brand new cover design and perhaps content structure.

I haven't seen Volume 6 of NPCR.

I'm using Volumes 1 and 2 of NPCR for my class and they're ok, but I don't think they should be used alone. You are going to have to supplement with other texts in order to get the basics or reinforce basics as you go along with NPCR. For example I am using Zhang Pengpeng's three books on radicals, spoken Chinese, and rapid literacy to supplement the NPCR.

• 4 weeks later...

hohohoo~

Amazon just delivered it... Hope to read it soon and post some comments... I'm excited.

I never read the previous ones, and directly ordered the 6th volume... ha ha... 'cause I had no idea what chinese level was required so I bought this one, the backup plan is ordering the 5th one if this one will be out of me league and so on...

MAio

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I read the first four units (skipping the listening part, since I don't know here to get the recordings, ah ah). I'm not really familiar with reviewing Chinese language books, still I think this one is a good one.

The part I find of little use is when you should gather all same topic related words, or where you should answer questions or discuss what you just read, because I'm lazy, and because I'm reading the book by myself so I have no one to talk to... not regularly, anyway.

I'd liked to see some more exercises... I love asking friends on QQ if I got the right answer or not, ah ah.

Still, as I said, I like this book: the part where it shows a list of words containing a specific character kind of drives me crazy, the compounds of 主 in the fourth unit were quite scary...

That's it for now.

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone heard about the availability of the cd's for npcr 6? i emailed blcu press a few times, but still no answer. also, a bit of a tangent; does anyone know where i can get transcripts for the listening sections in npcr 5? i checked the threads, but couldn't find anything so sorry if i am repeating a request. anyways, thanks for any help. :)

does anyone know where i can get transcripts for the listening sections in npcr 5?

Yes! They are in the instructor's manual for NPCR 5. The instructor's manual however is all in Chinese so don't go in there thinking you'll find the English translation of the listening sections though.

In book 5, there were no stories related to the characters from the first 4 books.

They do use those characters but occasionally. E.g., check lesson 53, the dialogue about 榴莲 (durian).

Overall I am happy with volume 5 so far, although I have a few questions unanswered. The grammar is explained in Chinese (briefly) but sometimes I can't follow the explanations. Well, this is quite a different level. Just need to work a bit harder.

The texts, dialogues and exercises are on different topics, exposing to a variety of vocab. See those big lists of words. 我的妈呀! The listening exercises are fun but I need to work more on them.

I will definitely get volume 6 when I finish with 5.

sannomiya, you may want to check their website. They'll often post their replies online instead of emailing you.

To my knowledge the book is the only thing released for Vol. 6 so far. A chronological search for 新实用汉语课本 shows German and Arabic versions of the series, plus a new English 2nd Edition. Nothing else for Vol. 6 besides the regular text.