Chinese-Forums

Renmin University

roddy

1. There are two buildings for double rooms, buildings 1 and 2. Building 2 is fine because they renovated everything last year but building 1 is a bit old and sad... Some rooms are a bit cold too. As for me, when I was there, I got used to the room but my problem was with the other people who lived on the same floor as mine. 

2. All levels of chinese are offered. From novice to advanced. I think there must be around 8 different classes. Everyone has to take a test before and then, depending on our level, they put us in different classes.

3. I think people in Renmin are really accomodating but I am not too sure if you can postpone it except if you have a real reason (like a visa issue). What is the reason why you cannot be there on the 6th ? And who did u try to contact ?

Hope to see you there this year !

@pturskis

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kouch said:

1. There are two buildings for double rooms, buildings 1 and 2. Building 2 is fine because they renovated everything last year but building 1 is a bit old and sad... Some rooms are a bit cold too. As for me, when I was there, I got used to the room but my problem was with the other people who lived on the same floor as mine. 

2. All levels of chinese are offered. From novice to advanced. I think there must be around 8 different classes. Everyone has to take a test before and then, depending on our level, they put us in different classes.

3. I think people in Renmin are really accomodating but I am not too sure if you can postpone it except if you have a real reason (like a visa issue). What is the reason why you cannot be there on the 6th ? And who did u try to contact ?

Hope to see you there this year !

Hey, Kouch,

thanks for the answers. 
1. BTW, according to rules (http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/scholarshipdetailen.aspx?cid=97&id=2070), I could ask university for 700 RMB accommodation subsidy if chose to live outside campus. Have to tried it? Is it possible to find a room for 1000-1500 RMB within commuting distance from Renmin (if taking a bus)?
2. I have an important wedding to attend. Would be great if I could postpone. I tried contacting International Student's office.

We should definitely meet up once I am at Renmin. What are you studying?

Its impossible to find acceptable room around Renmin for 1000-1500 RMB. the prices are way higher and you may get something for around 3000.

And you wont be able to postpone the date now beacue the staff has summerbreak untill september 4th you may try calling them then.

• Like 1

@kouch I guess I will settle for the dormitory first :) I will try contacting again. Thanks for the advice.

Same here. We may have the same classes. BTW, what is Renmin's attitude towards give internship permissions to language students? I think it would be great to add some work experience while I am there, but not sure the uni would allow such thing.

@Danteveli you mean there is no one in the office? That would be bad for me :(

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe someone who studied at Renmin before could help with this.

I know it is possible to legally do an internship in China, if university provides a written agreement. One then needs to apply for X1 visa extension. 

What are the chances Renmin would agree to such thing for a language student?

• 9 months later...

Hi everyone,

Hope you've all enjoyed Renmin so far

I'm joining this September and I wondered what to expect. 

What is the reputation like within China and Beijing and what's the campus like?

Also, sorry for so many questions but what's the cost of living like? I'm trying to work out budgets now and have heard canteen food is cheap but boring?