Chinese-Forums

Xiamen University

roddy

Wow! Many, many thanks for taking the time to write such a thorough response, Ori_A. Greatly appreciated.

I was wondering about the possibility of renting off campus. 500 yuan a month is brilliant (considering that here in Beijing the monthly rents would be at least ten times that amount). Thanks for pointing that out.

I wouldn't be interested in the TCSOL program. I know that many such programs have sprouted up in universities across China, but as you've indicated, the quality of most of them is to be questioned.

Mostly I am just interested in language classes and passing HSK Level 6 someday.

Many thanks again for sharing your knowledge about Xiamen University!

Chris Two Times

Hey, you're very welcome.
The books they use in Xiada are called "Developing Chinese" - 发展汉语.

Can't say that I was very satisfied with the books, and it's been well over 10 years without them being replaced with newer additions.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is actually perfect because these are the books we are using now (Comprehensive, reading and speaking). We finish one book in one semester, so I guess that if I go there, I will start the semester with the Elementary 2 books.

I have one more question. Im really hesitating now because I like WuDa so if I go to Xiamen, it will only to be with my girlfriend. As she will be working at the airport, I want to know how far is the campus from the airport. Is it ok to live near the airport and go study, or is there an ideal area where I can settle to be with her ?

The airport is technically not very far, but there is no convenient transportation between Xiang'an campus (where you will be studying) and the airport, and you need to take 3 buses to get there. You could rent an apartment somewhere in the middle (the eastern side of the Island), and then it would be a short walk + one bus for the both of you. I can't give you anything specific because I haven't checked, but I would guess it is possible. It's a very nice area to live in, but the rent is not very cheap though, so take that into consideration too.

• Like 1

I don't live there so I don't know the exact prices, and they vary quite a lot. I have a friend who rents an apartment with his friend (they're not a couple so two bedrooms) not far from that area, and they pay 2,500 a month each. Living with two other people (3 bedrooms, living room, and sometimes a blacony) is considerably cheaper, around 1,500 a month. Not sure how much it would be for a couple, and I can't compare it with other cities either, so sorry for the limited information.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I've been accepted to Xiamen University. But I still have no idea if they've nominated me for the Chinese Government Scholarship or not. I've emailed admissions but they just keep telling me to wait until late July when the scholarship results come out. I just wanna know!! 

On 7/10/2017 at 9:46 AM, sufei said:

So I've been accepted to Xiamen University. But I still have no idea if they've nominated me for the Chinese Government Scholarship or not. I've emailed admissions but they just keep telling me to wait until late July when the scholarship results come out. I just wanna know!! 

Similar situation, I was accepted by Xiamen University and applied to the CSC scholarship via my local Chinese consulate.. waiting on the consulate to confirm I received the scholarship. 

Anyone know what the dorm situation is at the international student dorms at Siming campus? Is sharing a room 100% mandatory? 

• New Members

Hi everyone! I was accepted by Xiamen University and I will study MTCSOL at Xiang An campus. I am a Confucios Institute sholarship student. Anyone going to XiaDa to take M.A in Teaching Chinese to Speakears of other languages? Feel free to add my wechat : eldana19 

will be happy to make some new friends :) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Hi everyone. So heres my current situation.

I've been teaching English in China for 3 years now, while I've been here I've studied really hard and passed the HSK6 not too long ago. I just turned 31, and I kinda began thinking what is my life goal right now? Well it certainly isn't keeping on slogging in this job I don't like. One life goal is to perfect my Chinese, another is to live in a comfortable fun city with a bit of character,  where the pollution isn't so bad. I've been in Tianjin 3 years, I feel very fond of it, but there ain't much to do and the smog gets pretty bad.

I've always liked the South of China, so I began thinking, why not find a beautiful city and just chill out and study for 2, 3 years. Teaching English will always be here for me, but in a few years I'll be too old to do the university thing, and China seems to provide pretty generous scholarships. I've kind of cottoned on to the idea of going to Xiamen, I've heard it's not too polluted, beautiful beaches, and a wonderful campus.

As for my major my first love is History, so I was thinking maybe studying History IN CHINESE would be a good way to kill two birds with one stone, Xiamen offers world history and Chinese history courses. On the other hand, maybe a masters with a more Chinese flavour would be in order, plus I'm a teacher so if I did a Chinese teaching degree that would be another way to kill two birds with one stone. So I thought Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages,Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language as a masters would also be a good choice.

Does anyone have any experience of these specific masters, Chinese education in general or Xiamen in particular who could give me some advice?

Many thanks.

On 11/2/2017 at 11:11 PM, RichS said:
Hi everyone. So heres my current situation.

I've been teaching English in China for 3 years now, while I've been here I've studied really hard and passed the HSK6 not too long ago. I just turned 31, and I kinda began thinking what is my life goal right now? Well it certainly isn't keeping on slogging in this job I don't like. One life goal is to perfect my Chinese, another is to live in a comfortable fun city with a bit of character,  where the pollution isn't so bad. I've been in Tianjin 3 years, I feel very fond of it, but there ain't much to do and the smog gets pretty bad.

I've always liked the South of China, so I began thinking, why not find a beautiful city and just chill out and study for 2, 3 years. Teaching English will always be here for me, but in a few years I'll be too old to do the university thing, and China seems to provide pretty generous scholarships. I've kind of cottoned on to the idea of going to Xiamen, I've heard it's not too polluted, beautiful beaches, and a wonderful campus.

As for my major my first love is History, so I was thinking maybe studying History IN CHINESE would be a good way to kill two birds with one stone, Xiamen offers world history and Chinese history courses. On the other hand, maybe a masters with a more Chinese flavour would be in order, plus I'm a teacher so if I did a Chinese teaching degree that would be another way to kill two birds with one stone. So I thought Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages,Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language as a masters would also be a good choice.

Does anyone have any experience of these specific masters, Chinese education in general or Xiamen in particular who could give me some advice?

Many thanks.

Hey man, I've been at Xiamen University for a month and a half and love it so far. It's been blue skies and nice weather every day so far. The beaches are 'good for China' but I've heard mixed reviews. It's nice looking out at the ocean but I don't think I would go swimming. 

If you do a masters degree in teaching Chinese as a foreign language, you’ll be at the Xiang’an campus way out here in the suburbs… probably nongcun to be honest. There are a dozen shops/restaurants on campus + another few dozen more in the village just outside of 东门。It's a 20 minute bus ride to 新店 (urban part of Xiang'an) or an hour bus ride to downtown Xiamen.

The 海外教育学院 is out here, and it includes: students learning Chinese, teaching Chinese as a foreign language, as well as Finance and Economics.

I’m friends with several people studying to be Chinese teachers, it’s nice having friends who genuinely enjoy politely correcting my grammar.

I think history majors are on the more famous downtown campus in 思明, but look it up to make sure.

--

The China government scholarship gives masters students a stipend of 3000 rmb/month. If you give up the dorm room they provide an additional rent subside of 700 rmb/month. The cost of a small 1 bedroom apt next to the Xiang’an campus is 450-500rmb/month, vs 2000-2100 next to Siming campus.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

• Helpful 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

@Jianada

Hi, I am planning to apply for PhD program at Xiamen university but I am an existing CSC student and will graduate within 4 months. I would like to know if Xiamen accepts same year graduation or are there any other scholarships?

• 7 months later...
  • New Members

Does anybody have any experience in studying distance bachelor's course in Acupuncture in Xiamen University?  It is supposed to be a 5 year distance study during which one goes to Xiamen for internship twice. Maybe you know somebody who has any experience and knowledge about this university? 

I have contacted them and found out you need to have passed HSK6 in order to study this course. Right now I am considering to invest to study Chinese 3 years fulltime, in order to apply for this course. I can't go to China and stay long periods. So was thinking to do this in distance mode. This university seems to be the only acknowledged university in China which offers bachelor's in acupuncture in distance mode.