Chinese-Forums

Missing Person

JoJo2c

Hi

My Name is Joanna, I Live in Sydney Australia. I need help to find my cousin Rex Jackson who is missing and has not made contact with his family for nearly 10 months.

Rex is thought to be in China teaching English. Through searching online we have been able to see a 2010/11 resume and know that he was working at Cheng du Experimental Foreign Language School and Oral Business and Tourism Chengdu Textile College.

Rex's family and his elderly parents are very worried for his welfare.

If you know Rex of Know of him please message me or contact the Australian Embassy in your country. Rex is listed as a missing person internationally.

For further information please see the links below

http://www.australianmissingpersonsregister.com/RexJackson.htm

Or

https://www.facebook.com/FindRexJackson

Thank you in advance to you all and to the site for any assistance you can give me.

You may have already tried, but have you contacted either of those schools? If your cousin was lawfully employed by either of those schools, they'll have issued him a Z visa and resident permit. If he's left these school for another, the new school would likely need documentation from the previous issuer in order to convert his work documentation. This may be one way of tracking him down.

I'm not sure if it's much help, but here is the website for the first school you've mentioned. I couldn't find the Chinese name for the second.

This is for the Chinese website. The English one is not working.

Chengdu Experimental Foreign Language School: http://www.cefls.com/

This school also has their phone numbers listed as: (028)86318899 & 86318866

• Like 2

Thank you SO Much.. I have sent many emails to schools and to agency's but have had no replies as yet. I really want to find him soon, Am trying to understand the process for teaching in China.

If you could share those links around i would appreciate it very much.

=D

Joanna

Doing a quick google search I came up with the page that has his resume on it.

I'm not sure if you realise it, but on that page in red Chinese characters it says: 点我获取联系方式

Which translates to something like: "Click me to obtain contact information". You then need to sign up for an account, and presumably after that it will let you contact him using whatever email he used to sign up for that account. It may not be of any use, but just thought I'd point it as it might have been something you'd missed if you don't read Chinese.

• Like 1

Another thing I experienced so far is that many schools won't reply to emails they recieve. If you know someone talking chinese it might be better to call them and ask. (and there again if the first time doesn't bring any info up call again another day as someone else might pick up the phone and have the information you are looking for)

good luck in finding your cousin

• Like 2

What's the Australian consulate's view on this? I can't imagine they'd have much trouble tracking him down if he's in the country - quick call to a PSB contact, one search on the computer, and you know where he's registered. Even if he's living unregistered somewhere, they could see when he entered or left the country. Whether they'd be willing to help or not is another matter - this does look pretty much like a grown man who's not bothered to phone home.

• Like 1

DFAT in Australia apparently does no investigative work in looking for someone overseas. Apparently they can only do something if he becomes known to the Australian Consulate. However i get conflicting advice so i have just decided rather than not wait for them to work it out to look. The Internet is a very powerful thing and i have uncovered so much information some relevant some not, some info has given me information on other leads that i can now almost rule out.

Yes it does seem that he is an adult that hasn't bothered to call home, and he is free to live his life no matter what but his elderly parents and concerned and not knowing if he is ok or not is impacting their health. So it is very important to at least have some kind of contact to know what has happened to him.

Any help anyone can give me is very much appreciated.

It is very difficult to understand the Chinese Culture in relation to foreign employees but i am beginning to start to get my head around it.

I found that resume to yesterday and it seems to be dated oct 2010 so i feel that im getting closer. I am praying that we get more information through the 2 schools listed.

Thank you EVERYONE for your help.

And if he's staying at the hotel, the *hotel* needs to register for him, so there should definitely be records of him staying somewhere.

Unfortunately, all of China is about to go on holiday for week or two due to the Chinese New Year so you might not have much luck contacting anyone there until after another couple of weeks.

I recently saw a picture on weibo (chinese twitter in case the OP doesn't know) of a foreigner (i don't remember what nationality) whose cell phone was stolen and was using weibo to try to get back in contract with a girl he'd just met.

If the other suggestions don't work, perhaps a photograph of the teacher and a short description of the story (in chinese, someone from the forums could write it i suppose) could be posted on weibo and could be forwarded enough for one of his students, colleagues, friends etc. to see it and reply? Would need to make sure to have a contact email or something set up so people would know whom to tell.

Let this be a lesson to any of you who haven't phoned home recently.

I've a bit of mixed feelings about this. There are plenty of people that don't want contact with 'home'. As someone mentioned already, it sounds like 'just another' adult who doesn't bother to call home. There may or may not be a reason for that. One may loose a phonenumber, an e-mail account or whatever. I'ld say it's very rare to loose all of them at the same time as most people know their e-mail account by heart. Also e-mail and snail mail adresses of close friends and family are usually known or fairly easy to track down when lost.

I may be wrong, but if I read the original message I feel that also before the contact wasn't very intensive. That makes me feel chances are the loss of contact is a choice rather than an accident. I see no reason to challenge such a choice. Also, is there anything in the story we can verify? Is there any guarantee that this really comes from his family and not from someone with obscure motives?

As said, I've mixed feelings. I see the message on the surface, but I also know from experience that there may very well be more to it then only that message on the surface.

• Like 1