Chinese-Forums

Online Bookstore

Angelina

I am talking about literature and banned books. 

YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, this is a different topic. Twitter is being used for military purposes. Never heard of the SCL Group? 

https://sclgroup.cc/customers#defense

https://sclgroup.cc/home

https://www.buzzfeed.com/kendalltaggart/company-tied-to-trump-campaign-once-pushed-voter-suppression?utm_term=.ri4zP6j5d8#.ds754JL6Wk

I am not sure how to see this from a military perspective because I wish military organizations never existed and we all lived in peace. 

What is your favourite banned book? Is it banned in China? What is the message that the tyrant is afraid of? 

4 hours ago, edelweis said:

I'm curious to know what you're writing in your thesis.

Burning Bridges: How to Lose Friends and Disappoint People 

• Like 1

Angelina: true, but I thought writing a banned book and distributing it yourself while physically in China would be more daring and show more personal engagement, than distributing banned book to Chinese people while safely away on another continent.
What better start to your international banned book distribution career than risking getting expelled or even imprisoned, and your doctorate remaining incomplete?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, studychinese said:

I'm certain what is happening on this thread has nothing to do with freedom of speech. 

I am starting to think that the best way to deal with a country such as China is:

1. Don't defend it. Never defend a system like this, not even partially. Trying to defend it will lead to you committing a logical fallacy. 

2. Evaluate your strength. It would be good to support freedom, if you can. In other words, don't do anything stupid. 

7 minutes ago, edelweis said:

than risking getting expelled or even imprisoned

Reality check. 

One thing, I know that I have a passion for literature. For the rest, I have to see how much pressure I can handle. Kudos to those who have done more. 

I am wondering if there are historical examples or ancient books or stories in China, where a "hero" stood up against the (in his eyes) unjustified authorities / leaders, in the end also gaining support among the people.

Note that I am not referring to corrupt authorities, which are hated by everyone anyway.

53 minutes ago, Mati1 said:

I am wondering if there are historical examples or ancient books or stories in China, where a "hero" stood up against the (in his eyes) unjustified authorities / leaders, in the end also gaining support among the people.

Half the 武侠 novels that were ever written

• Like 2

On 2/9/2018 at 8:58 PM, Mati1 said:

where a "hero" stood up against the (in his eyes) unjustified authorities / leaders, in the end also gaining support among the people

Look what I got from our school library. 

Unfortunately, it is from the library and I can't sell this book to you right now. 

jb.thumb.jpg.b828627e22966e44e73bf108017c4784.jpg

• Like 1

As a business idea, sounds OK. 

As a business venture, sounds terrible. There is very poor insight into risk analysis. 

There is no thought process into how to make a business survive. I would just walk away as an investor unless I was so rich, things like this are just toys for my amusement.

1 hour ago, Flickserve said:

I would just walk away as an investor unless I was so rich, things like this are just toys for my amusement.

There was a cafe near where I used to live in China that was like this.  It was done up really nicely, in a colonial european style.  It must have cost a fortune to renovate, and given the location a fortune to rent/buy the property, that could in no way be recuperated from the cost of drinks and meals they served.  It's been running for years though.

Yup, there are enough people in China with extra money on their hands. 

Would you buy books if 1) you are in Mainland China and 2) this bookstore sells books in English, even if you would not invest your money in the venture? 

28 minutes ago, imron said:

Personally speaking, I only buy Chinese books in China.  English books I can get anywhere.  Chinese books not so much.

Interesting. 

Would you be interested in buying Chinese books online, when you are not in China? :tong