Chinese-Forums

anyone applying for the Ph.D. in China Fellowship (来华攻读博士学位项目)?

tooironic

Hi guys.

Anyone applying for the Ph.D. in China Fellowship (来华攻读博士学位项目)?

It's an excellent scholarship which basically covers everything during your studying a doctorate in China, including:

• Lodging and living stipend: 80,000 RMB per year;

• Research fund: 20,000 RMB per year

• Round-trip international airfare;

• Tuition;

• Other support provided by the host Chinese university;

• Expenses for life and medical insurances in China.

• Group activities and cultural experience.

(more info here)

I have submitted all my paperwork and have my video interview this afternoon via Skype (a very short one, at just 15 minutes...). Anyone else in the same boat? I can also provide updates on the process as it unfolds, and answer any questions anyone might have.

My situation: I have applied to do my doctorate in ancient Chinese literary translation at PKU (first preference) and Fudan (second preference). Anyone studying a postgrad program at PKU or Fudan who wants to connect feel free to say hi.

Carl

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

OK, update for those interested: I had my 15-minute video (Skype) interview yesterday. I thought it would be with an officer from the Confucius Institute, but unexpectedly, it was actually a chat with my first preference supervisor, which is good because we had met before. The questions he asked were: 1) self-intro 2) what I want to research 3) how's your Classical Chinese? I didn't feel I performed that well, so I emailed my supervisor last night to clarify a few things. He said he supports me, but it will be up to the Confucius Institute whether I get in or not. Keep your fingers crossed for me! We will get official announcements in June, but I hope I can get an early response as if I have to leave my teaching post at BISU they will need to time to find a replacement.

• Like 4

This is definitely in my radar and appreciate the updates as you go through the process.

I’d enjoy hearing more about your background, experience with Chinese, and the thought process that led you to going for a PhD in China. What do you hope to get out of this? Where do you want to end up after graduating?

@艾墨本 Yeah, my self-intro is on my blog linked in my signature. Long story short, I've learnt Chinese for 20+ years and am a Chinese translator by trade but hope to get into literary translation and publishing. I'd like to combine my background with the latest research in 古代文獻學 (Chinese philology/paleography) to produce an updated translation of an ancient Chinese classic, or if that is not possible, at least contribute some relevant findings. It's gonna be a tough project but I feel stuck where I am at the moment doing freelance translation and lecturing at BISU. I hope the doctorate can push me to produce something significant. And this scholarship is pretty amazing too. I'm surprised no one else on the forums is talking about it.

@somethingfunny @roddy Thanks! I will post updates when necessary for anyone else out there who is curious about the program/scholarship.

Hi,

Sounds like a really cool project! I'd love to do something like that...Took a wrong turn somewhere though, clearly. 

Do you know much about Computer Science related scholarships in China? I'm applying to a PhD back at my old uni, in CS, but sure I have the experience/skills to get it.

Cheers.

@thechamp Don't remember seeing computer science listed as a project category in the Ph.D. in China Fellowship (来华攻读博士学位项目). Take another look. You could look into which universities in China provide the best computer science doctorates (try Baidu or ask your Chinese friends on WeChat) and apply for it through a different scholarship.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Yesterday I emailed the Confucius Institute to ask about the possibility of an early response re the scholarship and possible admission, as I want to give my current employer as much notice as possible in case I have to resign and they'll need to find another waijiao to take my place. The officer (who always replies very quickly!) said considering the merits of my application there is a high possibility that I will be suceessful! So, fingers crossed... I will know for certain in about two weeks (五月中旬).

• Like 4

Hi!

Im applying to this scholarship as well, the two weeks timeframe( 五月中旬) was mentioned just for you or for everyone applying? . 
Looking at you background Im sure you can get it!

My interview was different I was interviewed by a Hanban officer, I think the interview wasnt perfect but I could had gone better,  oh well, lets just wait!

wish you the best!

• Like 1

@Smeontelr Hi there and thanks for the encouragement. The officer didn't specify whether it was just me or all applicants. As you probably know, the official timeframe for notification is June.

May I ask, which school(s) are you applying for, and what's your subject and research direction?

Lastly, welcome to the Forums! I've been a member here for many years, and it's been a great source of support for many of us.

@tooironic I’m applying to Sunyatsen University in Gz, my subject is intercultural communication in the Confucius Institutes  in Peru .

Thanks! I was looking for some place where people are going through this, although I just find this threat related to the CI PhD project I browsed the forums and it seems like a nice place with lots of good info !

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This opportunity is intriguing. If it is still around in 3 years I would like to maybe pursue it with a focus on literary translation (20th century stuff especially fiction that focuses on the 1960-80s.  I will be 46 by then, I hope I won't be too old to qualify. Every success to you who have already thrown your hats in the ring!

• Like 2

@Smeontelr

@Xiao Kui

Thanks for the support guys. Will post once I get the result. Am waiting with bated breath! Xiao Kui: There does not appear to be an age limit for the application, just the normal visa requirements of being of sound body and mind, and being under a certain age (50 I think?).

• Like 2

Hi @tooironic

My dream school is 北京大学 and it is one of my choices for my PhD. I am deeply interested on Sino-Korean phonology and I will just stay tuned for your updates whether it is okay to study PhD in 北大。 May I ask why you will not study your PhD in the US or in the West?

• Like 2