Chinese-Forums

Teaching, is this level of bad that normal.

Lumbering Ox

That's why you should do your utmost to not have a child while you're far away from home unless you have your act together. But again, easy for me to judge from here.

@abcdefg, that is not in the past tense though, so it wouldn't be 'upped and find' or 'ups and find' either way.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2018 at 4:19 PM, Lu said:

This is the worst part, I think. If you're miserable yourself, in a job that from here looks pretty shitty, with no clear way out or up, I'm sorry for you and I hope things get better at some point. If you're dating a man in that situation, same thing, I hope either things get better at some point or that you break up with him. But to put a child into that kind of situation is not good, in my opinion.

I don't disagree with you, but people having children when they shouldn't is not unique to foreign teachers in China.

On 5/25/2018 at 9:03 PM, Lu said:

But again, easy for me to judge from here.

I haven't bothered looking in to the background of this guy, but what defines having your act together?

Kids typically do just fine as long they get enough love, care and attention from their parents.  If you can provide food, clothing, shelter and are not fighting with your spouse or taking your anger out on your children, or otherwise neglecting them emotionally you're already covering the majority of their needs.

Maybe this guy enjoys the fact that being a foreign teacher affords him more time to spend with his family.  When I was a teacher I had 4 days off a week!

Like I said, I haven't looked in to this guy at all, so maybe he's a total deadbeat and so what I said above doesn't apply, but I don't think we're in a position to judge whether or not he should be having children.

• Like 3

On 5/23/2018 at 9:02 AM, Lumbering Ox said:

A third of the students after 2 years of French can't even say hello but everyone passes so nobody cares which leads to the behavior that the teachers get fined for.

Just wondering - why does everyone pass if they have no ability?

i have had to do it teaching professional subjects, You are **encouraged** to apply a multiplication factor or to normalise scores in someway

Every mark I need to give ranges between 70%-90%, in reality or should be 30%-60%, but these are not uni courses. The professional trainers get good feedback, course providers justify large fees and good business, companies sponsoring the course give themselves a pat on the back for money well spend. Everyone happy ,..... apparently ???

On 5/26/2018 at 4:28 PM, imron said:

I haven't bothered looking in to the background of this guy, but what defines having your act together?

Having a stable job (or source of income) and not being in any danger of being forced to leave the country is, in my opinion, an important part of having one's act together if one wishes to have a child. This is in order to ensure that such a child has enough food and clothing and such, and also to ensure that both parents can be an ongoing presence in the child's life. If you have a child with someone from another country, no matter which country you or the other parent are from, it is, in my opinion, best to first make sure that both you and the other person can and want to live in the same country for a pretty long time. If this guy, for example, decides he is sick and tired of working at schools that try to fleece him, he cannot just up and go back to France if he has a child in China. This puts both him, the child and to some extent the mother of the child in a more difficult position.

And yes, having children when they shouldn't is not unique to foreign teachers in China, and it's none of my business anyway. It just makes the situation, in my eyes, more tragic.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lu said:

Having a stable job (or source of income)

Agree that this is important.  He probably considered his job quite stable before this incident.  We have no idea about any other sources of income he and his wife may or may not have or how it affects their family and whether it was irresponsible or not for them to have a child.  I imagine it probably won't be too tricky for him to pick up employment elsewhere however.

25 minutes ago, Lu said:

not being in any danger of being forced to leave the country

Also important, but if he's married he can always get a long-term, renewable visa anyway.  Not one that allows him to legally work, but one that allows him to continue looking for work in country at least, and not be separated from his family.

28 minutes ago, Lu said:

best to first make sure that both you and the other person can and want to live in the same country for a pretty long time

How do we know he didn't do this?

29 minutes ago, Lu said:

If this guy, for example, decides he is sick and tired of working at schools that try to fleece him, he cannot just up and go back to France if he has a child in China

No but maybe he and his wife discuss things and decide that moving back to France is a better option for them, or maybe they discuss things and he gets work in some other field, or maybe any one of a half-dozen other options are decided on instead.

The point is, from this thread and the youtube video (at least the parts that I watched at the beginning and end) there is no way to determine whether having a child was irresponsible or not.

8 minutes ago, imron said:

The point is, from this thread and the youtube video (at least the parts that I watched at the beginning and end) there is no way to determine whether having a child was irresponsible or not.

Quite right, we don't know his specific situation. I hope you're right and he did in fact prepare for such eventualities.

• Like 1