Chinese-Forums

English taught Master in Management/Business in China?

Xander

Hi,

Does anybody know of any good universities in Mainland China that offer this kind of degree? Or any international universities that offer a two-year master degree, with a minimum stay of one year in China? I am asking because I have been searching the web for several hours, and so far all I have found are English thought MBAs. I will be finishing my Bachelor degree in Economics and Business Administration next year, and by the time I have graduated spend two semester in China studying Chinese.

Even if my Chinese would be good enough for studying at a good Chinese university, I still think I wouldn’t do it, because of the workload, and because I don’t want to spend that much time first studying one year Chinese, and then spend two or more years doing the masters. I am currently living together with two 哈尔滨工业大学 students. They major (chemistry) is said to be the third or fourth best in China, they are good students and according to them this semester is particularly stressful, that’s maybe because they work that much. But I don’t want to work 80 or more hours for two or more years, but I think this is what is expected of me if I do a Chinese taught master at a well know Chinese university. I think just by living in China, doing my masters and having a good teacher tutor me in my spare time I can still pick up a lot of Chinese.

Tell me what you guys think, especially if you know any universities that offer these kind of degree.

In case I change my mind, does anybody know of the entry requirements doing a master in Management/Business in China? HSK level? One probably has to write Chinese pretty well in order to get good grades.

Thanks

Nanjing-Johns Hopkins has a new 2 yr. Chinese+English taught Master's program in International Studies, but you choose one of three concentrations including 'International Economics.'

Not exactly what you're looking for, but I thought it was worth mentioning. It seems interesting; half the folks are Chinese, half are foreign/American. Some classes are taught in English, some in Chinese, but you don't take Chinese, per se. Also, their library is supposedly unrestricted (rare, they say), so you can read/research things you wouldn't normally be able to.

http://www.sais-jhu.edu/Nanjing/new_students/index.shtml

I am currently an IMBA student at Tsinghua University and highly recommend those interested in an MBA in China to consider this program. Prior to coming here, I worked in international sales and marketing for the North Pacific seafood industry. Because Asia is a big market, I wanted to learn more about Asian (but mainly the Chinese market) markets, thus enrolling in this program.

Feel free to check out the website and read the brochure/application- http://mba.em.tsinghua.edu.cn/mba/tabid/193/Default.aspx

As far as the quality of the program, the program is taught in English. Tsinghua is considered the best University in China. Thus, the best professors in China want to teach here. All of the IMBA professors have PHds, including Harvard, Yale, Michigan, or Purdue. The program is highly quantitative, and calculus is considered easy bu Chinese students. 75% are Chinese and 25% are international, ranging from Europeans, Latin Americans, and North Americans, and other Asians (Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Thailand).

The M.I.T. connection cannot be overlooked and was the main reason I chose Tsinghua over the Beijing University program. Following graduation, we get affiliate alumni status, including the perks of invitations to MIT Alumni events in the US (a nice perks considering my GMAT was not up to Sloan expectations which is around 750, mine being 680). M.I.T. professors come here every month and meet with students. We also do team projects with M.I.T. Sloan MBAs, Stanford MBA's, and just recently, a Chilean University (which the Bank of Chile is paying for 10 IMBA to go to Chile next year).

Career Prospects - Depends on your Chinese ability. The best banks and consultant agencies come here. As well, the alumni for Tsinghua is one of the biggest assets in coming here. Every Sunday, students can do events with MBA alumni, including golf. If the Chinese is not good, it can be hard to talk about serious career prospects with them. I am taking five Chinese classes a week outside the program (studied 2 years in the US). I am hopeful to have some prospects for summer internships, including Wal-Mart and other high end food distributors.

Hope this helps - back to doing homework on a Friday night (the program is not a cakewalk).

Thanks to everybody for sharing the info.

I think without serious work experience I won’t be able to get into any of the good MBA programs mention above. Also thanks to cui ruide, but I a Master in International Studies, even with a specialization in International Economics is not what I am looking for.

I will probably spend one year studying Chinese in China after finishing my Bachelor degree, and then take a one-year Master in Europe. After that it shouldn’t be too difficult to find a nice job in Norway, and then ask the Norwegian company to transfer me to China after a while. That’s my plan so far…

• 1 month later...

sorry to bring up an old thread. i also have questions regarding an MBA in China.

what do people say about the quality of MBA in China? How do the world perceive a degree from China? I looked at the requirements for Tsinghua IMBA and it's just a Bachelor's degree and a 560 on the GMAT, which is very very easy compared to most other schools. This kind of easy requirements usually give a school an 'easy' image, and that's obviously not very good.

according to Jiaotong University's research of the world's 500 top universities Chinese universities are nowhere close to the American ones, so when i told my American friends im thinkin of getting an MBA in China they just laugh at me, they think its a joke. not that im joking, its the education here that's a joke. i have a Bachelor's from America and have lived there for a long long time. i just thought having a degree from America is just nothing that special anymore unless you get it from Yale or Harvard or those kind of schools, just like being able to speak English is nothing special anymore.

I thought if i have a degree from China or some other exotic country like Israel (i heard Tel Aviv has a very good technology institution) it'd be a much more interesting experience for myself, and it'd catch people's attention a lot easier. what do you people think? thanks

An MBA from a Chinese school can be a good asset if you plan to work in China. For any other country, a second tier US institution might be a better choice.

Do not misjudge the entry requirements, though. While the stated requirement is only 560 on the GMAT, the average is over 600 and thus much closer to first-league institutions in the US.

thanks for the quick reply.

eventually i would like to own my own business preferably in Asia. so right now my goal is to work towards a better understanding of international business and economy, particularly around Asia. whether or not this dream will be realized is irrelevant right now.

how bout around Southern China? like Shanghai Jiaotong University? I heard that they have an Masters program taught in English, but I saw the requirements and one of them is HSK level 6, which is confusing since if the classes are in English then why would you need HSK? can anyone give more information on Jiaotong? I've been trying unsuccessfully to access the school's School of Management page for the last few days.

thank you!

If you do want to study in China, the highest ranking schools are CEIBS, Tsinghua, Beida, respectively. CEIBS costs the equivalent of American tuition, but the other two can be a bargain when staying out of the international cooperations.

The ranking in a recent issue of the Chinese edition of Business Week lists the three schools above, then Xiamen, then Changjiang Business School, only then Jiaotong and Fudan.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry,

Did not check the latest postings on this thread.

For foreigners, getting a Chinese MBA can be very impressive for recruiters. Recruiters in China, Hong Kong, or Taiwan, will all be familiar with Tsinghua, Beida, or perhaps CEIBS. For outside these areas, your work experience may play a bigger role and undergraduate University.

Besides recruiting, getting an MBA in China can be a good investment that will pay off in the future. The cost right now is $15,000 for a two year program, with a relatively low cost of living in Beijing. Tsinghua's Dean is a PhD from Harvard University, with significant experience teaching in Stanford. An important objective is to have a high ranking business school.

Somewhere down the road, having a network with the Chinese Business Community and being able to say you did an MBA in China (where I believe Tsinghua will be in the top 10-20 in ten years) will help you out, whether in securing a contract from the Chinese or lobbying for a job where negotiation with the Chinese is important.

Last, but most important, doing an MBA presents an opportunity to learn Chinese - which I feel will be an asset in any type of international business.

James

• 3 weeks later...

In addition to the great joint-MIT programs at Tsinghua and Fudan, Zhongshan (Sun Yat-sen) U also has an all-English MIT program in Guangzhou. High quality education - all Sloan texts, visiting overseas professors, faculty with extensive international experience, intense program with case studies and many group projects, VERY smart students. Posted a 2006 ranking of Chinese MBAs at chinaRoll if you want to see how all the mainland programs stack up.

added link to specific article - if you're going to link to your own site, at least make it easy for us ;-). Admin.

CEIBS is a top ranked school. It was ranked #11 in the FT global list of MBA schools.. Very impressive. However, I hear foreigners without fluent mandarin skills find it hard to get good jobs out here. Maybe you can also consider business schools in Hong Kong. HKUST is one that has a good reputation.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an IMBA student at Peking University, which is quite similar to the one at Tsinghua University.

To clarify, there are 2 different schools at Beida that offer English MBA programs. One is done through the China Center for Economic Research (CCER) and Fordham University + a bunch of other Jesuit universities in the States. That one is known as Beijing International MBA or BiMBA. From my research, the CCER is based on campus, and therefore you study on campus. There is not much other affiliation with the actual school. Your degree when you graduate actually comes from Fordham University.

The other English MBA program is done through Beida's business school which is the Guanghua School of Management's IMBA program. Your degree from this program is issued by Beida which I think is a plus for foreigners - the whole reason you're doing an MBA in China.

I'd say the programs at Peking University and Tsinghua University are about the same coursewise, quality of professors, etc. One thing that Kodiak10 didn't mention about the programs is the dual-degree aspect of them. Both unis have affiliations with other international universities allowing half of your studies completed at the other campus resulting in 2 MBA's when you graduate. Beida is affiliated with National University of Singapore (NUS), York University (Canada), and ESSEC in France. I believe Tsinghua currently has HEC in France. I think this is a great option for those who feel that they need the Chinese experience but are wary about having a professional degree like an MBA from only a Chinese school. I know that quite a few of the foreigners in the class took the NUS option as that degree is also quite strong in Asia.

Overall though, I'd say the program is not as rigorous as lots of the exchange students say their home program is. Then again, an MBA is very broad and basically it's what you make out of it. The big banks and consulting companies all came to recruit and did their speeches, so if you're looking at ibanking or consulting then there's still opportunity.

Anyways, hope this helped a bit. Just thought letting you know about the "other" IMBA program would be of some use :)

Hi,

I found this program http://www.fso.fudan.edu.cn/economy.htm at Fudan. But I have no idea whether or not this is a good program? It's a two year Master degree in Chinese economy, and includes some general courses in micro and macro economics. They also offer some other courses like East Asian International Relations or Capital Market and Financial System of China.

What do you guys think about the quality of this program? I am thinking that if I am going to study in China, I better study Chinese first (HSK level 6 or higher), and then do an MA in Chinese economy and politics.

So what I am planning to do is going to China this year after finishing my BA in Business Administration and Economics to study Mandarin for one year. When my HSK level is high enough apply for a Masters degree in Chinese economy or something similar at a good University. My current HSK level is four, but it might be lower now. Which brings us to the ultimate question.

Which university is most likely to offers a good Chinese-instructed Masters Degree in economics and politics with a focus on China/Asia? I think Beida is probably the best in China, especially due to the combination of economics and politics? What kind of teaching methods are they using at Beida when it comes to teaching economics? Class participation, group work, assignments or just the final exam thing which I think is very common all over China?

Please help me out here?