Chinese-Forums

Antiwave back online

roddy

Signs of life at Antiwave again after two or three months of downtime, which is great news - by far and away the best of the Chinese language podcasts for my money, both in terms of content and production values. They're jumping right in with 超级难说1 - 我们能不能喜欢日本 which I've got downloading now, and if you are looking for a fairly accessible place to start then the 办公室的故事 series is worth a look.

It's not designed for learners at all, but is infinitely more interesting than any advanced listening courses out there.

Wow. Just had a listen to a couple of their files and from from my sample size of 2, I'd say it really beats Chinesepod in terms of thoughtful, interesting content.

So what does subscription get you if you can already listen to the files?

Anyway, thanks for another good tip and happy new year to you all.

Y

There's no subscription option, it's all free. It's just a Chinese language podcast, aimed at Chinese people - but it's actually interesting, and is therefore more useful than a lot of radio / textbook content. Some of their stuff can be quite funny, although that obviously depends on your sense of humor - try 北京下土了 for example.

I've been subscribing to the atom feed (antiwave.net/atom.xml) with Thunderbird and it's still working fine.

Bonus geek points if you can identify the guy 'reporting from Jianwai Sohu' in the intro to this clip.

I found a copy of the 北京下土了article online here. Although it has a little more than what was read out on the podcast, I think the written version doesn't have quite the same effect.

The podcast has cheesy, upbeat children's music playing in the background, and the podcaster is reading it in the same excited voice and tone one might use to describe the first snow fall of the year, which just adds to the biting satire.

Imron,

Great description imron and many thanks. Of course I won't ever be able to hear the podcast itself but reading the online article I could actually imagine what you described as upbeat music playing in the background and the satiric sound of the announcer. Now if I can only do that for the other Antiwaves...

Lelan

Wasn't actually that interesting to be honest.

Antiwave don't, as far as I'm aware, produce transcripts for any of their stuff. If anyone else is doing it I'd love to know about it. Your best bet is probably to look at the older stuff back in the archives - the longer it's been up, the greater chance someone somewhere has transcribed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone listened to podcasts by Zheng Yuanjie (郑渊洁)? He has a series that's up to 60-some episodes now that primarily features him making small talk while on the can. The first episode, where he is approached to judge a bra contest, has a transcript.

The rest are hit or miss, and he adds in a laugh track which is kind of lame.

Just started listening to antiwave after I watched the interview on danwei, I too find listening to my advanced books on tape boring as all **$%$, and Chinesepod is no better. BBC is great for news, but Antiwave is awesome for listening to some actual interesting material!

I wonder if there is anything else out there along the lines of what these guys are doing, or are they pretty much 播客上最先锋的吗?

• 2 weeks later...

How many regular Antiwave listeners do we have? If there's enough interest I should be able to use their RSS feed to automatically add a new thread to the forum when they publish a new show, and that thread could then be used for comments on and questions about the content. If I can get a handful of people who reckon they will participate I'd be happy to go ahead and do that.