Chinese-Forums

TREO 680: Combined English/Chinese text messages

stickyrice

Hello,

I just threw out my second faulty Palm TX and bought a Hong Kong model Treo 680 here in Beijing. The shop owner set it up to be driven using English menus, but I would also really like to be able to easily send text messages that have both English and Chinese characters in them.

I don't understand all the CJKOS preferences and terminology but it is installed. Right now, I can write Chinese characters easily enough using Pinyin input but when I try to write English letters, it converts them to Chinese characters. Can someone tell this Treo noob how switching between the two languages within a single text message is achieved? It can't be too difficult, surely.

Download CJKOS package from the program website. There should be a readme/manual in the zipp'ed file. Read it and see if that's any help.

http://www.dyts.com/en/download.html

CJKOS

I use 掌易 for entering Chinese on my Treo. It's free and has a much larger word database than CJKOS, but its interface is entirely Chinese.

http://www.51pda.cn/bbs/htm_data/52/0607/856.html

掌易中文输入平台 2.20

I've just sent a palm TX back for repair because the Graffiti input was almost unusable - the digitizing system is simply all over the place. I have PlecoDict installed, absolutely fantastic, especially the character recognition. Shame the TX is so bad - hopefully the replacement will be better, but judging by comments on the Internet I will not be surprised if it is not!

• 1 month later...
Re: TREO 680: Combined English/Chinese text messages

Download CJKOS package from the program website. There should be a readme/manual in the zipp'ed file. Read it and see if that's any help.

http://www.dyts.com/en/download.html

CJKOS

I use 掌易 for entering Chinese on my Treo. It's free and has a much larger word database than CJKOS, but its interface is entirely Chinese.

http://www.51pda.cn/bbs/htm_data/52/0607/856.html

掌易中文输入平台 2.20

I want to try 掌易, Gato. I assume this requires CJKOS enabled?

This answers one of the questions I asked in the other thread about Treo.

After owning it for 11 months (and only using it for Plecodict, so not a heavy user), I sent my Palm TX off for repair. The power button doesn't work well.

Luckily, I bought it in the UK so it's under guarantee, no arguing. However, I was kicking myself after I got to Beijing last year and realised I could have saved nearly 35% on the price I paid.

• 1 month later...

Don't want to start a new thead for something that really relates anyway....

If you buy a Chinese OS on the Palm 680 (meaning it is Hong Kong 行货 or 国内行货) can you put English onto it? Had never really thought about this as most people would buy English and then put Chinese on. Any thoughts or experiences???? Thanks!

If you buy a Chinese OS on the Palm 680 (meaning it is Hong Kong 行货 or 国内行货) can you put English onto it?

Yes. What you get with the Chinese version of Palm 680 is really just the English Palm OS with CJKOS installed into the ROM. In terms of software, it's more or less the same as if you were to buy it in the U.S. and install CJKOS yourself.