Chinese-Forums

The Buddhist Sutra Translation/Discussion Thread

insight

For example if I want to say 老和尚跟我打禪機, how would you say it?

My take for this is : The old monk threw zen cues to me.

How about that? Does it sound ok?

By the way, Studentyoung, do you know how to say "惦惦吃三碗公" or "身藏不露"? I have been thinking on these two :mrgreen:

Would you like to offer your take? :wink:

My take for this is : The old monk threw zen cues to me.

How about that? Does it sound ok?

Yes, I think it sounds OK!

By the way, Studentyoung, do you know how to say "惦惦吃三碗公" or "身藏不露"? I have been thinking on these two :mrgreen:

Would you like to offer your take? :wink:

Hehe. Interesting! “惦惦吃三碗公Finish three big bowls (of food) in quiet” is a Min nan phrase. “惦惦” means “in quiet”. “碗公”means big bowl. 惦惦吃三碗公: Eat quietly, but digest largely. (i.e. Work quietly, but gain largely.) (It use to describe someone works hard in a low-key way and gains no attention until others finally notices his success.)

Are you talking about 藏不露 or 藏不露?

藏不露:

I am a girl, so I always “藏不露 dress myself in an conservative style.” :mrgreen: (Joke! Please kindly note that there is no 身藏不露 in Chinese phrase.)

藏不露:

Here is my translation for your reference: Hiding in obscurity and hard to discern.

Thanks!

am a girl, so I always “身藏不露 dress myself in an conservative style.” (Joke! Please kindly note that there is no 身藏不露 in Chinese phrase.)

Hi, you are kidding me!! Haha!!

You know my Chinese is not that good! :oops: But you are right it is 深藏不露 but it you want to make it 身藏不露 that is okay :mrgreen:

I like how translated "惦惦吃三碗公" --> Work quietly, but gain largely

I think the meaning of "惦惦吃三碗公" is practically the same as 深藏不露. May I translate it as "you cannot judge a person by his appearance." ( I think this sounds more English). What do you think about it?

:roll: