Chinese-Forums

General information and opinions towards studying in china

mattt

Basically what im looking to do is head to china hopefully in november to do 4 to 12 weeks of study.

I just am getting a bit overwhelmed when I see all these websites than I hear their scams and all sorts of other information. So far this is the only thing ive been able to source as credible.

I live in auckland newzealand which is currently in the process of slowly becoming a chinese colony. So I'm really interested in learning mandarin proficiently to allow myself ot use it in my audiology practise with patients.

Anyway I really just want general advice on where to look and how to apply. I'd prefer to make a small excursion the end of this year. But I'm also looking at heading to china to study for a full year probably next year.

thankyou in advance matthew

I've skimmed through some of the Chinese school websites in the past and this one seems practical and geared towards professionals who are going to be in China for a limited time. www.1monthchinese.com

I think the owner used to post a lot on this site. Maybe someone who's been there can comment on whether it's worth it.

• 1 month later...

Hey, NZ represent!

Some of the universities have short term courses which seem to start kind of on a sliding schedule, like once every four weeks or something like that. I'd recommend having a look around at a few of them and seeing if you find any you like.

Is there any particular cities in China you'd like to study in, or you just pretty much looking for a good course?

Anyway, i'm a kiwi as well, living in Wuhan at the moment. If I can help you, just send me a message.

Good luck!

Ni hao,

I've just finished 3 months study at Keats Language School in Kunming. While I had taken Chinese in the past I had forgotten most of what I had learned...at least I couldn't remember how to use it.

At Keats I had 1:1 instruction. My teacher was a qualified and experienced Chinese teacher (Yunnan Normal Univ grad). By the end of the 3 months I have been able to "flow" into conversations with Chinese...like on the plane back home. While no one can become fluent in 3 months I can least get beyond the basics and engage in actual conversations.

Many schools, especially Universities, want to only teach the proscribed curriculum of reading and writing. Keats is a private school and much more flexible. Other private schools may also be as flexible.

You DO need to decide if you want to learn all the Chinese language skills or just conversation (speaking and listening). And, do you want to study in the summer or in a regular school semester in fall or spring (this is important because most schools in China do not have summer classes for "independent learners" just contracted programs with American and other foreign universities)? And, do you want 1 on 1 classes or group classes (1:1 is a little more expensive but you progress much much faster)? Last, I suggest you pick an area of the country you want to spend your time in.

I have had problems at schools in Yantai (Shangdong Prov) and at Yunnan University for summer classes. That's why I chose Keats for summer study. I know personally Keats does no "scams" and all the feedback I've heard about ECLAC in Kunming has also been favorable. ILI in Qingdao and TLI in Dalian (and other locations) have had consistantly favorable reviews in this forum.

If you read the postings for this forum for the past few months you can learn a lot about other schools as well. When you narrow down your choices you can send msgs to any of the other posters who have studied at the school or in the area you are considering.

If you still are "boggled" in the mind over making a choice...then just go to Keats. Kunming is also a great city to live in, study in, have fun in, etc. NOTE: I am not now nor have I ever been employed by Keats! This is my own personal endorsement based soley on my experiences and those of other students I've talked to.

Good luck,

Stormy

For me getting to a high level of over all language is important not just conversational. This is a large project linked to serious future business and life choices.

I've already through friends and various tutors learnt to read / write and comprehend literature but obviously the speaking will never develop properly without immersion (although auckland is slowly becoming beijing ;) )

I am looking at doing a stint over November or December start dates to around febuary that

is why I was looking at blcu's course as it had a 4 week period.

The key thing for me is to try and keep the costs of the excursion below 5 to 6000 and this is just a temporary arrangement until I plan to study for 2 years in 2010.

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

University programs are usually the safest bet with regards to potential scams. Private businesses (programs, language centers, etc.) are a lot more dicey...which I gather you've already figured out and are wisely doing your research.

That said, if you'll be coming over to study for a longer period of time (in the future), you may want to consider a university program supplemented with plenty of immersion and interaction with native speakers. Perhaps throw in 1 on 1 tutoring for that too. Tutors are much easier to evaluate, try, pay as you go, and fire than private language programs where they may force you to sign on for a commitment with money down and sometimes the runaround if you feel you're not getting what you expected.

However, for a shorter period of time, as you're hinting at for the end of this year, your university options are limited. Hopefully, other readers will give you some good recommendations. I like that university programs are fairly broad in what they teach you, but if you're dead set on being very focused on what you want to learn language-wise, then usually only the private businesses will be able to tailor to your needs.

Good luck and bring me some sheep! :wink: