Chinese-Forums

Lots of questions about coming to Beijing

travoholic

Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie and this is my first post so forgive me for any silly questions!

I'm planning on moving to Beijing in about April for 6 months to a year. Just on a whim really, want to have a crack at learning Mandarin and spend some time building an internet business I have plus just do a bit of exploring. I don't intend on working while I'm there so I'm trying my hardest to get a very rough idea of the cost of living in Beijing.

I'd love some suggestions for areas to live in Beijing. I'm leaning towards studying with 1-to-1 Mandarin but don't mind a commute. Can anyone suggest any areas they like near the Wu Dao Kou area (where the school is) or a reasonable commute from there? Anyone have any comments on 1 on 1 Mandarin and if they're a good choice?

I don't mind sharing a flat but I will have a friend coming to stay for the Olympics... I'm guessing cheaper apartments are like shoeboxes. Not sure if I'd be able to shoehorn them into the place or if flatmates would be keen on an extra person hanging around for 2 weeks. I'd love an idea of what you guys pay for a share in a flat or any of those who have their own places. Can someone give me a rough idea of what $400/month US might get me? I'm having a look at That's BJ now but there's so much to process.

I like to go out drinking now and then, will need to get internet, love to cook so will eat at home a lot more than I go out, and I might consider joining a gym or some sort of class to get me out meeting people. Any prices you can chuck my way will be great for booze, groceries etc!

Do you reckon prices will be inflated or rental places difficult to find for 6 months because of the Olympics? I plan to arrive sometime in April or May.

Thanks loads for any help... sorry about all the questions but once I get some ideas on prices, places to live etc. I'll be able to narrow it down and not be so annoying. :-)

Take care,

Kirsty

Can someone give me a rough idea of what $400/month US might get me? I'm having a look at That's BJ now but there's so much to process.

See this thread to get an idea on housing costs:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/11322-your-accommodation-in-china

I think $400 US is a good amount to plan for if you aren't too picky about where you live. You can probably get an average 2-bedroom apartment (~100 sq m) in an average area for that price, or a one-bedroom apartment (~70-80 sq m) in a "better" area instead. That said, it wouldn't hurt to plan on spending $500 to give you more options.

I like to go out drinking now and then, will need to get internet, love to cook so will eat at home a lot more than I go out, and I might consider joining a gym or some sort of class to get me out meeting people. Any prices you can chuck my way will be great for booze, groceries etc!

In general, groceries here are cheaper. For example, fruits and vegetables are 1/2 - 1/4 of what you're probably paying right now. However, that's assuming you stick with Chinese ingredients. Ingredients for western-style cooking become more expensive and the selection more limited (cheese comes to mind). If you cook a lot you will spend very little on food, however eating out is also very inexpensive here (for Chinese food, that is).

Booze... hmm.. how would I know about this? :) Beer is very cheap provided it's local - imported beer is not cheap (are you starting to see a pattern here?). Going out to bars/clubs is not that much cheaper here, so budget the same as you would back home. That's assuming you aren't used to going out in LA, NYC, etc. In which case, you can still keep the same budget but plan on going out more often. :mrgreen: Buying hard liquor from the store is a bit more than what you would pay back home, but less than what I would pay. If you are into wine, may I suggest that you bring a couple bottles of your favourite with you.

As for internet, etc., you can get unlimited DSL service for around $20/month. A gym membership will cost from $10-20/month depending on where you go. Utilities seem to be cheap, but you also tend to conserve more here - my water bill for last month was less than $3, and yes I do shower everyday! I also do laundry at home, but I don't cook. My electricity costs right now work out to be about $2.50/week, but I only run the AC for a couple of hours each day before I go to bed and I don't watch much TV. Because you have to pre-pay for electricity over here, you tend to be more aware of and conservative in your usage.

Anyways, I hope this gives you an idea of the living costs over here. If you would like to know about other cost items, feel free to ask.

Do you reckon prices will be inflated or rental places difficult to find for 6 months because of the Olympics? I plan to arrive sometime in April or May.

It's hard to say, but I personally don't think that will happen. I think it's what every landlord is thinking/hoping for, but there's been so much new construction here in the past 2-3 years that I really doubt if there's going to be a shortage of supply. I do expect that hotel rooms will be hard to book during the Olympics, but I really can't see the same being true for apartment leases. But this is an interesting question. What do other forum members think?

Thanks cdn, that's been really helpful! Lots of things to think about. Looks like rent will be a huge chunk of my money all up front and I'll have to work at keeping the rest of my expenses a wee bit under control.

You mentioned renting a 2 bedroom place for $400/month. I've seen multiple room places for rent quite often and I was wondering how filling the other room works. Does the landlord want to meet the other person up front of is it ok to just rent the entire place myself and then go on a hunt for anyone I want to take the second room? Is it just a sublet to that other person or will they need to get on the lease and all that good stuff?

I guess the only other thing at the moment is areas. It's all a bit much when you don't know anything about them. Plus I can't seem to find a map that lists any of the places mentioned on these booards and on other sites.

Can you or anyone else suggest what might be some 'good' and 'average' areas to look for a flat? I'd want to be somewhat close to the city (whatever that means because I don't know how sprawling it is yet), preferably nearish enough to the Olympic area and uni area where the school is Wu Dao Kou or within easy public transport.

If someone could give me a list of areas they're recommend or even mention where they're living and what they think of it, that'd be really handy. Also, I hear there are a few main expat areas for going out... what are these called?

Thanks again!!

Thanks cdn, that's been really helpful! Lots of things to think about. Looks like rent will be a huge chunk of my money all up front and I'll have to work at keeping the rest of my expenses a wee bit under control.

No problem! I forgot to mention that if you're signing the lease, most landlords will request 6 months upfront, plus 1 month deposit, and rent to be paid every 6 months thereafter. I personally find this to be quite unfair to the renter, and fortunately some landlords will agree to 3 months upfront, paid 3 months at a time.

You mentioned renting a 2 bedroom place for $400/month. I've seen multiple room places for rent quite often and I was wondering how filling the other room works. Does the landlord want to meet the other person up front of is it ok to just rent the entire place myself and then go on a hunt for anyone I want to take the second room? Is it just a sublet to that other person or will they need to get on the lease and all that good stuff?

I haven't been in that situation myself, but I think if you are renting the whole apartment it would be treated more like a sublet. The landlord will go after you for the rent, and it's up to you to collect from your housemates. Also don't forget that some people do choose to live alone in a 2-bedroom place; this is especially not uncommon for foreigners. On the otherhand, if the landlord is renting the rooms individually, then there should be separate leases for each person.

I guess the only other thing at the moment is areas. It's all a bit much when you don't know anything about them. Plus I can't seem to find a map that lists any of the places mentioned on these booards and on other sites.

I remember seeing a good map once but I can't find it right now. In the meantime, you can read about the various areas here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing#Neighborhoods

Can you or anyone else suggest what might be some 'good' and 'average' areas to look for a flat? I'd want to be somewhat close to the city (whatever that means because I don't know how sprawling it is yet), preferably nearish enough to the Olympic area and uni area where the school is Wu Dao Kou or within easy public transport.

I can't recommend any specific areas, but in general I suggest that you stay within the 4th ring road and don't go south. I know, this doesn't narrow things down that much. Also, if you do decide to live a bit further from your school, you should study the subway and bus lines and take these into consideration when choosing an area. But I must warn you that the subways and buses can get really crowded here, especially during rush-hour!

Also, I hear there are a few main expat areas for going out... what are these called?

I think you are referring to Sanlitun (street with a bunch of bars), Houhai (man-made lake surrounded by a bunch of bars), and Worker's Stadium West Gate (where you will find a block of dance clubs). Sanlitun and Worker's Stadium are both in Chaoyang district. I hear there are some bars catering to foreigners in Wudaokou, but I have never been.