Chinese-Forums

how many guys in xiamen?

ishara131

It is well-know that xiamen is a beautiful city suitable for living and with booming economic in China. But, to my surprise, seldom foreign guys come to xiamen. When i mentioned XIAMEN to my foreign friends in our first chatting, they even do not know this city. Beijing and Shanghai are the first places came to their mind when i told them i am a chinese. Why? Could anyone be so kind to tell me ? TKS!:help

I've just read about it on Wikipedia and it sounds a nice place.

"Recently voted China's cleanest city". Wow!

Will people converse in Mandarin if that's what's used by a foreigner?

I know alot of foreigners in China that know where Xiamen is. I know two people who lived out there and did business.

With that being said, there are so many beautiful places that are developing out here in China that it would be impossible to remember and name them all.

I fell in love with the city after traveling there, especially in the small islet next to it, GuLangYu, really charming. In fact, Xiamen is a popular city for Chinese tourists and it was LOADED in the ChunJie.

I guess Xiamen is not that popular because there are no temples or summer palaces... Except exploring the islet there is nothing much to do there. The place is quite developed as Xiamen was (and still) one of the most important ports in China. full of Mc, Kfc, Shops and whatever...

I've been to Xiamen before and I liked it a lot. But you shouldn't be surprised if people think of Beijing or Shanghai first; obviously, these cities are much more important. When you think of the US, do you think of Washington D.C. and New York City first, or of San Diego?

PS: Just yesterday someone told me that supposedly they tore down a lot of the beautiful colonial-style buildings to make way for more modern buildings. Is that true?

I think there is a Wuyi Shan, river along a section of mountain near Xiamen which is quite pretty. There are also buddhas and murals on some of the cliffs . I am thinking of traveling there for the October break.

Anyone been to Wuyi Shan the pictures on the net look pretty.

Baidu search

random web page on it

I have a french friend there as well.

Have fun,

SimoN:)

There is a Buddhist temple just outside the university gates, and the university itself is situated close to the beach.

I hear that the university campus was voted the most beautiful campus in China (?) I can't remember where I read that though, sorry.

I've only managed to contact a few people who have studied Chinese there. All love the place but the classes got very mixed reviews.

The university answers emails quickly, usually on the same day. Tuition fees are relatively inexpensive.

I can let you know more about the actual classes in a couple of months when I start.

I am thinking of traveling there for the October break

You should also stop by the Earth Buildings (土楼), special architecture built by the Hakka people (in Mandarin: 客家),near YongDing, a small city next to Xiamen.

There is a good guide for Xiamen called "Amoy" (another name for Xiamen) http://www.amoymagic.mts.cn/main.htm , written by an American professor (you can buy the paperback version too).

Thanks to all you guys! You reply help me figure out some questions ! :)

1). Reply to : adrianlondon

The local language used to be Minnanhua. Aften many people from other cities immgrating to xiamen, all people here speak Mandarin now.

2). Reply to : opper567

Yup, xiamen is not good before. but it has really changed the past 20 years. Now it is the most beautiful Garden City of China. If you want to visit xiamen in ur next trip, do remember to go to the following three places: Ten Thousand Rocks Botanical Garden, Gulanyu island and Nanputuo(Buddhist Temple near door to Xiamen University).

3). Reply to : Lugubert

Yup, i tried AMOY , still did not work :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Xiamen University is one of the key universityes in China.Some of its majors are even better than Beking University.

I helped two of my friends finding apartments,and I got experiences.

If you have to find an accommodation through an agency(If you can find one without it,you'd better not do that),bargain with the agency,and you don't need to pay that much.:)

Xiamen is my hometown,but I am going to leave here very soom.

Poor thing...:cry:

• 2 weeks later...

try emailing your questions to both these addresses

admission@xmu.edu.cn

oec@xmu.edu.cn

I used to use the oec one and always got a speedy reply. It's very busy here right now as we only enrolled and had our placement tests this week. So this week probabaly wasn't the best time to get a quick response. It might be better to leave it for a week or two and try again.