Chinese-Forums

Trendy Chinese Vocab , who can understand them?

zozzen

In Chinese BBS, I've encountered some new vocab that I completely don't know what it means, but it seems to me that everybody speaks them.

裝逼 ( commonly written as 裝B )

牛逼 (also written as 牛B)

These two words are greatest hits now. When I asked what they mean, i got the answer 裝B is zhuangability (sh) and 牛 B is niuability :roll: )

..... mmmm, these Chinglish translation is quite a cliche and boring, but I'm still interested to know the meanings and etymology of them. Anyone here knows them?

牛B is 牛屄 niu2bi1, cow's cunt, Beijing slang for awesome, cool. Sometimes written 牛逼, sometimes self-censored to 牛X (pronounced niucha) or abbreviated to 牛.

B generally means 屄, written B or 逼 because 1) the original character looks really dirty and 2) many input systems can't even type it.

Basically as Lu said, just wanted to add that "someone who has balls" or, "that takes a lot of balls" is another way of translating 牛x.

For example, if you encounter an aggressive driver on the road or a driver who doesn't follow traffic rules, you could refer to them as being very 牛.

...which then makes me wonder why the term uses the word for female genitals instead of male genitals.

Thanks! Just wondering why cow's cunt is awesome.......

By that sense 裝 B means that someone pretends to be awesome ?

Yes, you are right.

It becomes a popular idiom, although still a little vulgar.

A cow's cunt is very big, I think it's the problem.

quote: By that sense 裝 B means that someone pretends to be awesome ?

裝 B actually means that someone quite knows something, but this guy make a pretense of ignorance. so, people could say this guy is 裝 B.

just like how zozzen got the answer. People thought zozzen knew the meaning of the words.

a little bit lost here. from the above we got two explanations for 裝 B.

One is pretending to be awesome,

another one is pretending to be ignorant.

Which one is correct?

Well, if 裝 B means "someone pretends to be ignorant", I'll bet 1 dollars to say it's a slang coming from hong kong. :mrgreen:

As far as I know, 裝 B is fairly flexible in its meaning. I don't doubt that it can sometimes mean "to pretend to be ignorant" but that's not the context I've heard it in.

The way I've heard it, it is derogatory and refers to people who put on a show of pretending to be more sophisticated or in some way better than they really are. For example, a friend told me that he prefers eating in a relaxed environment, and not in posh restaurants surrounded by people who like to 裝 B.

I've also heard it used to describe a girl who puts on a show of being very demure and "pure", and maybe a little bit above everyone else, but who in fact may not really be so "innocent" :wink:

So according to my understanding, it means pretending to be better than everyone else (in whatever way) when you're not.

The way I've heard it, it is derogatory and refers to people who put on a show of pretending to be more sophisticated or in some way better than they really are. For example, a friend told me that he prefers eating in a relaxed environment, and not in posh restaurants surrounded by people who like to 裝 B.

Though I have never heard this term used here, your explanation makes perfect sense to me:

裝B = 裝牛B