Chinese-Forums

Help us name a baby girl 帮助我们选个小女婴儿的名

aeon

We're expecting a little girl come next March. We named our son so that his name is the same in English and Chinese, however we're having more problems with a girls name. In English the front runner is 'Aewyn' which would be 'aiwen' in pinyin, but which charcters to use? We thought maybe 瑷 might suit, what do you think? And we're stumped for a suitable 'wen' for a girl...

If we can't find a reasonable Chinese version of 'Aewyn', then maybe 'Elin' or 'Erin' are possible. Any thoughts for characters for them? :help

You can use

文 (literature)

玟 (not sure, but I would guess some kind of precious stone. I know a woman with this name)

雯 (colored clouds, like with sunset)

All read wen, and all can be used in girls' names.

For the E- in Erin or Elin you can consider 娥, as in 嫦娥. For -rin you can consider 仁 (benevolence). For -lin there are too many to mention.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe "少艾" means "young girl" or "pretty young girl". I think I associate 艾 with young girl more than 惩艾 (cheng2yi4, to punish), and I am a native Chinese speaker who read a lot of Chinese books both classics and modern, etc.

Edit: I think you could google the internet and see how many times 艾 came up with the meaning of "young girl" or "to punish" to decide whether you could use this word or not.

In English the front runner is 'Aewyn' which would be 'aiwen' in pinyin, but which charcters to use? We thought maybe 瑷 might suit, what do you think? And we're stumped for a suitable 'wen' for a girl...

瑷 is a nice character! how about 瑷纹? it subtly reminds of 爱文。

• 3 weeks later...

I think we've pretty much decided.

She'll be Eirwen in "English" (it's actually a Welsh name which means 'pure as snow') and 瑷雯 in Chinese. It alliterates nicely with our son's name, Euan (优稳 in Chinese) and continues the Celtic theme as well as working in both languages.

谢谢大家的帮助。