Chinese-Forums

Google blocked when looking for provinces

gougou

Have to look up in what provinces a couple of cities are. To do that, I used to search for 省+name of the city in Google, e.g. just now 省抚顺 to find out where Fushun is (in Liaoning, btw).

This used to work quite fine, until a couple of days ago, when Google would display the search results, then switch to "The connection was reset" and not be accessible for a couple of minutes. When using Baidu (which I then have to, for a couple of minutes), I never got that problem.

Does anybody else get that? Is it our internal firewall, or the Nanny? And why?

I don't have this problem up in Dalian. However, there are a lot of results from Chinese language FLG pages out there at the moment - I quite often notice them just doing random searches for people's names, it'll pull up a FLG page about some believer (with a similar name to some ministry official or whatever it is I'm looking for) being arrested or whatever.

I'd guess whatever filters you are going through are a bit stronger than mine and the text / website address on the Google results page is enough to trigger a block. I just did the 省抚顺 search and I can see three results out of the top ten are FLG - the minghui urls, for anyone curious.

I have noticed this a couple of times before, especially with the Image search loading all the pictures until it gets to one it doesn't agree with (mostly domains ending in .tw). Then all it would do is fail loading any further images. The page disappearing after it already displayed is annoying though.

• 4 weeks later...

It's getting silly now, I just tried to find the address for my local post office and end up with results about the Dalian postal authorities forcing their workers to illegally intercept FLG mailshots. At this rate the censored .cn results are actually going to be more useful. Oh, and if anyone happens to know the address of the 孙家沟 post office :mrgreen:

• 1 month later...

I am getting this more and more frequently now, both at home (where our internet connection is horrid in any respect anyway) and in the office, where internet access is very stable usually. Have switched the Google toolbar to use google.cn as standard...

GFW 1 - gougou 0 :(