Chinese-Forums

Beginning Chinese for the Beijing Olympics

Meng Lelan

I don't know if this has been discussed here yet. I just got hired to teach a beginning Chinese course for those planning to visit the Beijing Olympics this fall. Question is, are there any resources (textbooks, instructional materials, online courses etc) that introduce the Chinese language necessary for visitors to the Beijing Olympics?

My guess is there probably isn't any set-up/published specifically for the olympics so you probably will have to do it yourself. I wouldn't even know where to begin other than to ask my fellow foreign members what some of the necessary topics would be to teach on....

I think I will design my own curriculum considering the dearth of appropriate materials. I am going to include a good deal of Olympics-related topics. By the way has anyone seen the sports logos for the Beijing Olympics? The logos are based on the ancient seal script. I was hoping to find them on the Internet and paste them onto flashcards to drill them on the names of sports later in the semester.

skylee,

Hard work?? Hardly! You just greatly simplified my task by finding that website with the sports logos AND the Chinese written on each one. Instant flash cards for teaching!! I am looking forward to the first class this Sunday...Thank you!!

Meng,

There are also a few lessons specifically made on the Olympics on Chinesepod - here is the exact link (http://chinesepod.com/search/key/olympics) There is a lesson for Newbie, Elementary, Intermediate and Advanced - so maybe able to cover the vocab you need. Hope that helps a little