Chinese-Forums

HK no more issuing 30-day L visa?

marcoppe

Hi guys,

according to some expats news here in Beijing, I was told that since July to well over the end of the Olympic games whoever is going to HK to renew a simple 30-day turist (L) visa might not be able to get it.

In fact, I was told that a simple 30-day turist visa shall be issued only by the Chinese consulates in the visitor's country.

I really hope this is another of those "made-up visa stories", since it would be the only way for me to stay in China during the summer.

Please let me know!

Marco

I hope you heard wrong, but I'm afraid not.

I went to a visa agent the other day (since there is no Chinese embassy here to go to), and she told me that

she doesn't even try getting tourist visa from Hong Kong

applying in Macau might not even get me 3 weeks, just 7 days

applying from the US would get me 30 days, but that would cost NT$7000+.

So I asked a travel agency, who told me they don't do tourist visa at all, period, just business visa.

A friend told me he had tried getting visa, and got pretty much the same message. His agent told him he could get a visa if he went to the Philippines personally and applied there.

Another friend, in Holland, told me she would need a plane ticket and a hotel reservation (that's pretty much standard now), but then it appeared to be possible.

So from what I know, your story is right, unfortunately. I was going to go to China but it looks like I'm just not going anymore.

I am afraid it is true. Officially only long term residents (anyone with a HK ID card) can apply for China visas in Hong Kong now. At the moment some travel agencies are still able to get visas for visitors (by taking the passport to Zuhai or Guangzhou), but the closer the Olympics the more unlikely this option becomes. In any case, applicants need to show air tickets and confirmed hotel bookings.

From the official site

1. Applicant is required to apply his/her Chinese visa from the Embassy or Consulate-General of Peoples' Republic of China in the country where he/she resides or works permanently. For special case, the applicants should enquire this office in advance. Enquiry number is 0852-34132424 (10:00 am-11:00am and 3:00pm-4pm on every working day)(updated from April,2008)

What constitutes a special case, I don't know . . .

Also from the site:

Visa applicants are increasing in a large number and need longer waiting time in the visa office recently. If you don't reside or work in Hong Kong permanently, you are required to apply Chinese visa from the Embassy or Consulate-General of Peoples' Republic of China in your resident country. You are welcome to China for tourism, business, visit of the Olympic Games.

Welcome to China! Please fly home at your own expense first!

Guess they got bored of processing all the visas for the mainland's foreign visa refugees - let's face it, surely a massive number of the 'tourist' visas processed in the last couple of months have not been for tourists. Real kick in the teeth for anyone, say, on a round the world tour who'd planned to get their Chinese visa in Hong Kong though . . .

And for the odd Dutch living in Taiwan who was planning to take the train all the way from HK through China back home, and see some friends living in China on the way. :-(

Am now flying to Vladivostok and taking the train from there. Russia fortunately doesn't have Olympics any time soon.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In Beijing, through an agent you can convert L visas to 3-month F visas and extend F visas for another 3 or 6 months.

But the prices are extremely high. And Beijing registration forms of temporary residence are strictly required, which means you need to stay in Beijing (at least when processing the visas). :roll:

you can get L visas in HK now, they just require a return flight and hotel booking. I booked both online, opting to pay on pick up in china, and they accepted everything and I have the visa now (mine is F business visa actually, which required invitation letter, but L is same except higher cost and you don't need invitation letter).

In Beijing, through an agent you can convert L visas to 3-month F visas and extend F visas for another 3 or 6 months.

But the prices are extremely high. And Beijing registration forms of temporary residence are strictly required, which means you need to stay in Beijing (at least when processing the visas).

are you guys back in business now? things were going really well getting f-visas through you for a few years until this summer.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on HK visas:

I am currently sitting here with a double entry (each 30 days) toursit visa - and didn't need anything except my passport. got it from the forever bright visa agency as mentioned earlier in this thread. so easy, tooka few days.

She also told me that the official "return to normal" date is October. these visas should tide me over till then!