Chinese-Forums

Singing in chinese??

Alveranter

What is singing in mandarin like?? I mean you already have a tonal system.. adding the musical rythm to that should should absurd..

I've heard some songs in mandarin (I conjucture) but they sound quite normal.. Are the tones skipped when singing??

/Anton

Exactly.

The tones can be "distorted" or "twisted" a little bit to fit into the melody, but not too far, so a very low pitch can't be used to represent the first or 4th tone, etc.

In Mandarin there's only 4 tones, but there're 9 (or 6 if you skip the "rusheng") in Cantonese, so it's more difficult to write a Cantonese song, unless you don't mind twisting the tones to an extent that nobody could understand the song by listening only, this is indeed very much a big problem in many Cantonese pops these days.

真的?

I had no idea -- I thought that you simply ignored the tones, and tried using phrases instead of words, for example: 思想 rather than just 想. That's all to make the meaning more clear.

If what you say is indeed true, then I'm going to have to go back and remake the melodies for my songs. Thanks, guys. :)

I thought that you simply ignored the tones, and tried using phrases instead of words, for example: 思想 rather than just 想. That's all to make the meaning more clear.

思想 is a word: thought (noun). It's not a phrase.

From what I've heard, it seems like you don't pay attention to tones in Chinese music. Think about it, what are you going to do with the third tone, make the melody go down and up really fast on that syllable? Too melosmatic for me -- hey, that kind of thing was fine for music 200 years ago but these days, we usually fit one syllable per note, except at the ends of phrases sometimes.

Sorry about that guys.

Anyways, if you don't have tones in songs, you just need to make sure that the meaning is portrayed clearly via use of "compound words".

this is one of my favorite songs... 8)

你愛我 

冥冥之中 你就在我左右

跟著我呼吸 看我一舉和一動

夏日午后 你隨著陽光出現在我窗口

轉身要看你 你卻溜走

匆忙之中 你又越過了我

熟悉的香味 飛舞漫延半空中

鏡子里頭 看到你悄悄化成另一個我

閉上了眼睛 你在心中

是不是愛上了你 從來沒停過

愛愈久情愈濃 是不是離開了你

根本是個錯 錯已成又如何

冥冥之中 你就是屬于我

我擁有了你 在我人生睡夢中

夏日午后 你隨著陽光出現在我窗口

靜靜看著我 說你愛我

你愛我 你愛我

伍佰‘s album can be heard/bought here...

http://www.boxup.com/big5/music/album/2004/3/album4116.htm

singing in mandarin is pretty nice practice for me... i wish they taught us to sing when i was studying chinese in university... :oops: it's fun to sing in chinese. like in every language, some lyrics are easy, some are hard. maybe i'll create a pinyinized song page, if you want... :conf

Singing, huh? I love singing, in Chinese or in English! :D

If the song has a melody (i.e. isn't rap) you pretty much are forced to follow that rather than the tonal sound of the individual words. For instance, "I" is normally the 3rd tone, but when sung it often ends up sounding like the 1st tone. Which is why sometimes it's hard to know what exactly the lyrics are/mean. (Especially when your Chinese isn't that good...) :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Don't quote me on this, but in mandopop (at least what i've been listening to: mainly 王力宏, 张惠妹 and 王非) they drop (or minimize the accent of) the tones, instead focusing on the melody.

• 2 weeks later...

The following link has some interesting information about the correspondence between tones and melody in Cantonese:

http://people.cohums.ohio-state.edu/chan9/articles/bls13.htm

The link begins as follows:

"In the study of tonal phenomena, a curious linguist might wonder what happens to the tones in a language when the words are put to music and sung. For Chinese, modern songs in Mandarin and Cantonese exhibit very different behaviour with respect to the extent to which the melodies affect the lexical tones. In modern Mandarin songs, the melodies dominate, so that the original tones on the lyrics seem to be completely ignored. In Cantonese songs, however, the melodies typically take the lexical tones into consideration and attempt to preserve their pitch contours and relative pitch heights."

• 3 weeks later...