Chinese-Forums

Banking in China/Hong Kong

onebir

Can anyone recommend a Chinese bank that offers a visa/maestro/cirrus (or whatever) card usable outside China? (as well as the usual Unionpay)

I popped into the local HSBC yesterday, and they

a) aren't offering any kind of card "at the moment"

B) only offer private banking type services, charging RMB150/month if you hold less than RMB100,000 with them...

Incidentally HK dwellers, are these the only accounts HSBC in HK offers??? (I'd find it very hard to believe...)

Been a few years since I looked at this, but I think most of the banks will have some kind of international option. ICBC's international credit card, for example. I looked into these briefly a few years back but gave up, as to get one they were asking for proof of residence, letter from employers, etc, and I couldn't be bothered. I think you're also meant to repay overseas spending in overseas currency, as otherwise you'd be circumventing foreign exchange rules - however, that could well have changed.

HSBC is a foreign bank and is being 'eased into' the Chinese sector to give the Chinese banks a chance to get ready for the extra competition. Hence it doesn't have the full range of services.

HSBC is a foreign bank

That's a bit sad, as we used to (and some still do) call it Hongkong Bank.

HSBC is like the largest bank in HK and is one of the 3 note-issuing banks (the other 2 are Standard Chartered and Bank of China). It offers comprehensive services. But there is a trend here in HK to drive away bank customers with little deposit/investment. Branches are being replaced by machines and ATM, simple savings account are being replaced by all-in-one accounts, and there is usually a minmum-deposit requirement.

It's really to big to call it any countries wouldn't you think? However yes, the "global" HQ is in England. Although the H is/was for Hong Kong, and S for Shanghai, but I don't think the bank itself really recognizes officially what the letters stand for anymore. I have an account with HSBC North America, and while it's not of any more use here than any other US account here. (Local banks won't help you as each area is a separate division), I can so far use any of the HSBC atm's anywhere and withdraw foreign funds from it, so it can be a bit useful.

• 2 weeks later...

For all banks, incl. HSBC - all branches are "locale". To have a HSBC in the US does not give you any benefit whatsoever when you deal with any other HSBC in another country.

One small exception, HSBC Jersey has slightly lower rates when transferring money to mainland UK or other HSBC branches in the world.

And for that matter, CN and HK are NOT one country according to that bank, or any other bank.

• 4 weeks later...